Finding r(ϕ) from r(t) and ϕ(t) to plot Newtonian orbits

In summary, the student is trying to plot orbits in Mathematica with the goal of extending this to orbits including GR after. He has derived equations for r(t) and ##\phi##(t) by integrating ##\dot{r}## and ## \dot{\phi} ## (see below also). He thinks he then needs to find an equation for r(##\phi##) to then plot in Mathematica using the ParametricPlot function but he is not sure how to do this.
Poirot

Homework Statement

I'm trying to plot Newtonian orbits in Mathematica with the goal of extending this to orbits including GR after. I've derived equations for r(t) and ##\phi##(t) (see below) by integrating ##\dot{r}## and ## \dot{\phi} ## (see below also) from E = 1/2mv2 +V(r) with velocity being split into angular and radial terms and V(r) = GMm/r. I think I then need to find an equation for r(##\phi##) to then plot in Mathematica using the ParametricPlot function but I can't see how to do this as my equations for r(t) and ##\phi##(t) are tricky.

Homework Equations

##\dot{r} = \sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}##
##\dot{\phi} = \frac{L}{mr(t)^2}##
##r(t)=\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}} t + r_0##
##\phi(t)=\frac{L}{m}\frac{ln(m\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}} t + r_0m)}{\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}} + \phi_0 ##
##r(0)=r_0##
##\phi(0)=\frac{L}{m}\frac{ln(r_0m^2)}{\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}} + \phi_0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding initial conditions at t=0 (see equations above) but I'm not sure if any of this is even right? It seems to have gotten to complicated. If everything I have done so far is correct, I'm not sure how to then find r(##\phi##) and if I was to find this how to convey all this information into a ParametricPlot function in order to obtain the orbits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have ##r(\phi)##, you could use PolarPlot. For ParametricPlot, you need expressions for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. With ##r(t)## and ##\phi(t)##, that's straightforward using the usual polar-to-Cartesian coordinate transformation.

Thanks for the reply!
I had planned to find ##r(\phi)## and then used ParametricPlot with ##r(\phi)Cos(\phi)## and ##r(\phi)Sin(\phi)## so that I could plot independent of t (As this is what I think my supervisor implied to do) but in practice I've gotten myself quite confused. I tried plotting ##r(t)## and ##\phi(t)## as a ParametricPlot of t also but this didn't seem to work, which I think I can see why from what you've just said. So I've just retried this using ##r(t)Cos(\phi(t))## and ##r(t)Sin(\phi(t))## plotting with changing t but this didn't seem to work either? It may be that I'm just not that great at Mathematica too, but I can't see any clear mistake I've made in syntax.

Thanks again.

1. How do I find r(ϕ) from r(t) and ϕ(t)?

To find r(ϕ), you can use the equation r(ϕ) = r(t) * cos(ϕ(t)), where r(t) is the radial distance and ϕ(t) is the angular position at time t. This equation is derived from the polar coordinate system, where r represents the distance from the origin and ϕ represents the angle from the reference direction.

2. What does r(ϕ) represent in Newtonian orbits?

r(ϕ) represents the radius of the orbit at a specific angle ϕ. This is used to plot the shape of the orbit in polar coordinates.

3. Can I plot Newtonian orbits using r(ϕ) instead of r(t) and ϕ(t)?

Yes, you can plot Newtonian orbits using r(ϕ) instead of r(t) and ϕ(t). In fact, using r(ϕ) makes it easier to visualize the shape of the orbit in polar coordinates.

4. How does Newton's law of gravitation relate to finding r(ϕ) from r(t) and ϕ(t)?

Newton's law of gravitation states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects changes, the force between them also changes. In the case of Newtonian orbits, the changing distance and force are described by r(t) and ϕ(t), which can then be used to find r(ϕ).

5. Are there any limitations to using r(ϕ) to plot Newtonian orbits?

One limitation of using r(ϕ) to plot Newtonian orbits is that it assumes a circular orbit, which may not always be the case. In reality, orbits can be elliptical, parabolic, or hyperbolic, and r(ϕ) may not accurately represent these shapes. Additionally, r(ϕ) only represents the radial distance, so other factors such as velocity and acceleration may not be accurately portrayed.