1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding r(ϕ) from r(t) and ϕ(t) to plot Newtonian orbits

1. Feb 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to plot Newtonian orbits in Mathematica with the goal of extending this to orbits including GR after. I've derived equations for r(t) and ##\phi##(t) (see below) by integrating ##\dot{r}## and ## \dot{\phi} ## (see below also) from E = 1/2mv2 +V(r) with velocity being split into angular and radial terms and V(r) = GMm/r. I think I then need to find an equation for r(##\phi##) to then plot in Mathematica using the ParametricPlot function but I can't see how to do this as my equations for r(t) and ##\phi##(t) are tricky.
    2. Relevant equations
    ##\dot{r} = \sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}##
    ##\dot{\phi} = \frac{L}{mr(t)^2}##
    ##r(t)=\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}} t + r_0##
    ##\phi(t)=\frac{L}{m}\frac{ln(m\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}} t + r_0m)}{\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}} + \phi_0 ##
    ##r(0)=r_0##
    ##\phi(0)=\frac{L}{m}\frac{ln(r_0m^2)}{\sqrt{\frac2m(E-\frac{GMm}{r})-\frac{L^2}{m^2r^2}}} + \phi_0 ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding initial conditions at t=0 (see equations above) but I'm not sure if any of this is even right? It seems to have gotten to complicated. If everything I have done so far is correct, I'm not sure how to then find r(##\phi##) and if I was to find this how to convey all this information into a ParametricPlot function in order to obtain the orbits.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2017 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you have ##r(\phi)##, you could use PolarPlot. For ParametricPlot, you need expressions for ##x(t)## and ##y(t)##. With ##r(t)## and ##\phi(t)##, that's straightforward using the usual polar-to-Cartesian coordinate transformation.

4. Feb 21, 2017 #3
    Thanks for the reply!
    I had planned to find ##r(\phi)## and then used ParametricPlot with ##r(\phi)Cos(\phi)## and ##r(\phi)Sin(\phi)## so that I could plot independent of t (As this is what I think my supervisor implied to do) but in practice I've gotten myself quite confused. I tried plotting ##r(t)## and ##\phi(t)## as a ParametricPlot of t also but this didn't seem to work, which I think I can see why from what you've just said. So I've just retried this using ##r(t)Cos(\phi(t))## and ##r(t)Sin(\phi(t))## plotting with changing t but this didn't seem to work either? It may be that I'm just not that great at Mathematica too, but I can't see any clear mistake I've made in syntax.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted