Finding Relative Extrema of g(x)=x sech(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter kari82
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Extrema Relative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
kari82
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Hello,

can i get help with this?

Find any relative extrema of the function

g(x)=x sech(x)

First i find the derivative
g'(x)=sech(x)(-xtanh(x)+1)

set to 0

sechx=0 can't be solved

-xtanh(x)+1=0
xtanh(x)=1
I know i suppose to solve that to get the critical points and then do the sign test... but i don't know how to solve that equation.


Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kari82 :smile:

I don't have much experience with hyperbolic functions, so I don't know how or whether that equation can be solved analytically, but perhaps a graph of the derivative can help provide insight to your question:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx(x*sech(x))

If you scroll down, it even tells you the roots. The fact that they used approximately equal to symbol may imply that there is no analytic solution and only a numerical one. But I really don't know for sure.

:smile:
 
thanks! I didnt know about that website.. very useful... :-)