Finding RMS Speed of Gas Atoms: Ideal Gas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
AllenHe
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The ideal gas has a density of 2.4 kgm–3 at a pressure of 2.0 × 105 Pa and a
temperature of 300 K.Find the root mean square speed of the gas atoms.


Homework Equations



p=(1/3)*(Nm/V)*v(squared)


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to make v(squared) the subject, but N(the number of atoms) is not given, and when I looked at the answer, it made v(squared) the subject, and omitted N. I don's understand why do they have to omit N, is it because we are suppose to find the speed for one atom?
Sorry for my bad English.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AllenHe said:

Homework Statement


The ideal gas has a density of 2.4 kgm–3 at a pressure of 2.0 × 105 Pa and a
temperature of 300 K.Find the root mean square speed of the gas atoms.


Homework Equations



p=(1/3)*(Nm/V)*v(squared)


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to make v(squared) the subject, but N(the number of atoms) is not given, and when I looked at the answer, it made v(squared) the subject, and omitted N. I don's understand why do they have to omit N, is it because we are suppose to find the speed for one atom?
Sorry for my bad English.

Well, N/V is the number of particles per unit of volume. If you multiply this by m, the mass per particle, you get the mass per unit volume. What's another name for that?
 
Thanks

cepheid said:
Well, N/V is the number of particles per unit of volume. If you multiply this by m, the mass per particle, you get the mass per unit volume. What's another name for that?

Oh, I get it, so you mean the density is mN/v, right?
 
AllenHe said:
Oh, I get it, so you mean the density is mN/v, right?

Yes, he means that in,

P= mnvrms2/3V

Density is mn/V

m=molar mass
n=number of moles

But you have written N=avogadro's number
m=mass of one molecule ?

Are you giving this formula for 1 mole of gas ?
 
AllenHe said:
Oh, I get it, so you mean the density is mN/v, right?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant :)
 
sankalpmittal said:
Yes, he means that in,

P= mnvrms2/3V

Density is mn/V

m=molar mass
n=number of moles

But you have written N=avogadro's number
m=mass of one molecule ?

Are you giving this formula for 1 mole of gas ?

The OP explicitly stated that N was the total number of atoms. So this problem isn't doing anything with moles.