1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding separation of bright spots

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data A scientist decides to do the double-slit experiment in a vertical tube, with the slits at the top and a viewing screen at the bottom as shown. With red light from a HeNe laser (632 nm) a nice pattern forms on the viewing screen, with the bright spots 1.00 cm apart.
    Now the scientist fills the tube up with water. What is the separation of the bright spots now?

2. Relevant equations i used v=c/n v=λf y=m(λ)L/d

3. The attempt at a solution λ=c/nf plugged that into y(initial)=m(λ)L/d, i used 1.33 as the index number. y(final)=m(λ)L/d to find the new separation, the m, L, d cancel out leaving y=λ or y(final)=c/nf c=3x10^8, n=1.33, f=632x10^-9 meters, i got 3.5x10^14 which seems to me to be really large...please help its due tonight, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Optical path difference changes from d sin(theta) to n*d sin(theta) = m(lambda). Careful about lambda in water ....

4. May 6, 2013 #3
    wait, i dont see how that equation applies here? i dont see how sin(theta) works here?

5. May 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But the lambdas are different, right?
    I don't understand how you arrived at that. y is the band separation, lambda is the wavelength of the light. Why should they be equal?
    f is frequency, surely, not wavelength.

6. May 7, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In air:
    If θm is the angle subtended at maximum number m, then d sin θm = mλ.

In water:
    if θ'm is the angle subtended at maxium number m, then n*d sinθ' = mλ'.

For both air and water, for m = 0 we get the center maximum. For m = 1 we get the first separation.

The ratio of sinθ'm/sinθm is the same as the ratio of screen spacings in air vs. in water.

You know n, λ and λ' so you know the sine ratio and therefore the spacing ratio. Use m = 1 for the spacings for both cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted