Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
Misericorde said:
This forum is fantastic for people trying to write fiction that doesn't utterly trample physics.
w00t.

That'll be my signature someday.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A favorite of mine:

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
 
my favourite quote... i can resist anything...except temptation . oscar wilde
 
In one generation we have gone from extraterrestrial planets being a mainstay of science fiction, to the present, where Kepler has helped turn science fiction into today's reality. - Charles Bolden
 
G037H3 said:
Umad? - 4chan to world

Urbandictionary's entry on this made me literally laugh out loud:

Possible response: "Yes, I mad, and if you weren't hiding behind an anonymous identity on the Internet, I'd find you and let you know just how mad I am."
Person 1: "Stop ****ing micspamming and hacking you ****ing dickcheese!"

Person 2: "Lol u mad?"

Person 1: "..."

(a few days later)

Person 2: " YOU KILLED MY FAMILY AND BURNED MY HOUSE DOWN! YOU *****!"

Person 1: "lol u mad?"
 
"A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials." -Ronald Knox
 
If you remember, in high school there were always a couple of kids whose clothes were on crooked, whose glasses were really thick and hung sideways. Their hair was never right, and their clothes didn't match, and they looked like little lost souls wandering down the hallway. That was me.

---------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxTVxGhHFM
 
I am going to wipe man whom I have created off the surface of the earth, from man to domestic animal, to beast, and to flying creatures of the heavens, because I do regret that I have made them.
 
"In a flash of adrenaline I knew, absolutely knew, it could be just one thing: squid. Giant alpine squid."
Peter Croft's mind playing tricks on him on a midnight climb in the high Sierras.
 
Darken-Sol said:
I am going to wipe man whom I have created off the surface of the earth, from man to domestic animal, to beast, and to flying creatures of the heavens, because I do regret that I have made them.

Um. Is this a quote...

... or is this just you thinking out loud?

Because if it is, perhaps I've underestimated your identity.

I'll put more in the plate on Sunday. I don't want to be wiped off the surface of the Earth please.
 
DaveC426913 said:
Um. Is this a quote...

... or is this just you thinking out loud?

Because if it is, perhaps I've underestimated your identity.

I'll put more in the plate on Sunday. I don't want to be wiped off the surface of the Earth please.

Don't be a wimp! Take it like a man! Come on God, gimme what you got!
 
Char. Limit said:
Don't be a wimp! Take it like a man! Come on God, gimme what you got!

this was a quote from god pre-flood genesis. i always think "what about the fish, its not fair."
 
Darken-Sol said:
this was a quote from god pre-flood genesis. i always think "what about the fish, its not fair."

I stand by my statement.
 
Char. Limit said:
I stand by my statement.
Ah! Then you're the one who bought up all the gopher wood at the local Home Depot!
 
"war is not about who is right, but who is left." i think this was bertrand russel but I'm to lazy to find out for sure.
 
Beware of quotes on the Internet. They may be inaccurate. - Abraham Lincoln
 
FtlIsAwesome said:
Beware of quotes on the Internet. They may be inaccurate. - Abraham Lincoln

LoL.

"Make unusual choices."
 
"The dream to kill me will never be completed." ~ Osama bin Laden

(true, no one is dreaming about it now...)
 
"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01


"I don't know where bin Laden is. I truly am not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02
 
‎"I never wanted to see anybody die, but there are a few obituary notices I have read with pleasure."
-Clarence Darrow

Not necessarily a favorite, but it made me think. Don't know if I agree with it or not.
 
The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!
 
Great quote, but...
Darken-Sol said:
The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintaglio_Ascension_Trilogy" . :biggrin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913 said:
Great quote, but...


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintaglio_Ascension_Trilogy" . :biggrin:
haha!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
"Hide a knife behind a smile" (unknown)
"Smiles conceal knives." (Fynn Flewelling)
 
Actually, "hide a knife behind a smile" is one of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems" of ancient China.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Char. Limit said:
Actually, "hide a knife behind a smile" is one of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Stratagems" of ancient China.

Thanks, I didn't know that!
 
Last edited by a moderator: