Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

  • Thread starter Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,745 replies · 392K views
I'll put it on the cuff.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
 
You CAN compare apples and oranges. In fact its much harder to compare two identical apples.
 
"If I had it in me to kill him, the least I could have done was make it as humane as possible"

Jodi Arias

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/15/3790832/prosecutors-play-voicemail-in.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I like Om's quote I have in my sig.

Energy is like Om's bank account. He knows it exists, but has never seen it. It magically has a higher quantity every two weeks, apparently because work has been performed on the system.
-OmCheeto on Energy
 
John Galt said:
"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

By Ayn Rand.
 
With negative power comes negative responsibility.
Brewster Rockit
 
Last week I bought a book named "The Physics of Anti-Gravity" It was so interesting I couldn't put it down! (credit or discredit goes to Patrick Coffin of CatholicAnswers.com)Dave
 
"Nothing is got for nothing. The price of love increases with ageing because more of those you loved are now among the dead than among the living."
 
Last edited:
Our mind is capable of passing beyond the dividing line we have drawn for it. Beyond the pairs of opposites of which the world consists, other, new insights begin.
-Hermann Hesse
 
I draw... people smiling, dogs running, rainbows. They don't have meetings about rainbows.
... Cole
 
A man that looks on glass,
on it may stay his eye;
or if he pleaseth, through it pass,
and then the heaven espy.

From the hymn "Teach Me My God and King"
 
"My life has been the poem I would have writ
But I could not both live and utter it." - Thoreau.
 
"My first kiss was about 11 or 12 and it was with a Greek boy called Chris. …. who’s gay now!" – Amy Winehouse
 
History is 10 percent what actually happened, and 90 percent how you react to it.

-Jimmy Snyder
 
FreeMitya said:
"Nothing is got for nothing. The price of love increases with ageing because more of those you loved are now among the dead than among the living."

"The hardest part about getting old is watching all of your friends die"

- from my best lifelong friend, who is no longer with us.
 
"Freedom isn't free. It shouldn't be a bragging point that 'Oh, I don't get involved in politics,' as if that makes someone cleaner. No, that makes you derelict of duty in a republic. Liars and panderers in government would have a much harder time of it if so many people didn't insist on their right to remain ignorant and blindly agreeable." - Bill Maher
 
"The people who really annoy me are people who get really annoyed"
 
Ivan Seeking said:
"The hardest part about getting old is watching all of your friends die"

- from my best lifelong friend, who is no longer with us.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend. If you're interested, that quote was from one of my heroes, Harold Bloom.
 
"Never confuse kindness with weakness."
-Anonymous friend
 
Art said:
You know Om, it kinda sucks getting old. You end up knowing more dead people then live ones.

--------------------------------
Art was a very good friend who I first met when he was around 75.
He learned to play beach volleyball that year.
He claimed to have been a world class ping pong player in his younger years.
But even in his 70's and 80's, he was a number 1 draft pick for most volleyball teams, including the two man teams.
He had the arm span of an Albatross, which made him a natural, for both games.
He reminded me a bit of Jimmy Stewart.
His son is a couple of years younger than I am, and I run into him about once a year at work.
He works in the building across the street.
Art was around 85 when he passed away.
He would be around 100 by now, and a whole lot wrinklier, as he was very wrinkly, to end with. (Too much sun, I'd imagine)
 
"Aus Stellung und Besitz entspringende Vorrechte sind mir immer ungerecht und verderblich erschienen, ebenso ein übertriebener Personenkultus. Ich bekenne mich zum Ideal der Demokratie, trotzdem mir die Nachteile demokratischer Staatsform wohlbekannt sind. Sozialer Ausgleich und wirtschaftlicher Schutz des Individuums erschienen mir stets als wichtige Ziele der staatlichen Gemeinschaft.

Ich bin zwar I am täglichen Leben ein typischer Einspänner, aber das Bewusstsein, der unsichtbaren Gemeinschaft derjenigen anzugehören, die nach Wahrheit, Schönheit und Gerechtigkeit streben, hat das Gefühl der Vereinsamung nicht aufkommen lassen."

Translation:

"Privileges based on position and property have always seemed to me unjust and pernicious, as does any exaggerated personality cult. I am an adherent of the ideal of democracy, although I know well the weaknesses of the democratic form of government. Social equality and economic protection of the individual have always seemed to me the important communal aims of the state.

Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice keeps me from feeling isolated."

Albert Einstein, Mein Glaubensbekenntnis/ My Credo, August 1932
http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/credo.html