Finding spring constant K and compression distance

In summary: So, v1 = 5.422 m/s. That looks OK.You have the right idea for finding v2, but you need to be more careful with the details.You wrote:v2=(m1v1/m2) = 1.36m/sThat looks right, but it isn't. It should be:v2=(m1/m2)*v1 = (2/1)*(5.422) m/s = 10.84 m/sAh. I can now see that you worked that out earlier.So, v1 = 5.422 m/s. That looks OK.You have the right idea for finding v2, but you need to be more careful with the
mpittma1

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10294335_1407511836191702_8633020308624670643_n.jpg

Homework Equations

PE=.5kx^2
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly just don't know how to approach a problem where you have to find both the spring constant and the compression distance...

Ive tried employing conservation of momentum, I've tried working backwards with M1...

Im pretty sure I need to find an equation that would solve for either K or x and then use that to find the other value.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
mpittma1 said:

Homework Statement

https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10294335_1407511836191702_8633020308624670643_n.jpg

Homework Equations

PE=.5kx^2
F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly just don't know how to approach a problem where you have to find both the spring constant and the compression distance...

I've tried employing conservation of momentum, I've tried working backwards with M1...

I'm pretty sure I need to find an equation that would solve for either K or x and then use that to find the other value.

Am I on the right track?
Conservation of momentum and conservation of energy will each be usefully to solve relevant aspects of this problem.

Can you see how you may find the the velocity that m1 attains after the spring fully expands and before m1 gets to the friction surface?

SammyS said:
Conservation of momentum and conservation of energy will each be usefully to solve relevant aspects of this problem.

Can you see how you may find the the velocity that m1 attains after the spring fully expands and before m1 gets to the friction surface?

Ya i see that;

100N = .5M1V12

so V1 = 10m/s

right?

Start with conservation of momentum to get v2 in terms of v1.

You can get v1 from conservation of energy.

Likes 1 person
mpittma1 said:
Ya i see that;

100N = .5M1V12

so V1 = 10m/s

right?
Not what I had in mind.

100 N is the maximum force exerted by the spring. (1/2) mv2 is Kinetic Energy. Those are not equal. They're totally different physical quantities.

Calculate the amount of work done by friction in bringing m1 to rest.

SammyS said:
Not what I had in mind.

100 N is the maximum force exerted by the spring. (1/2) mv2 is Kinetic Energy. Those are not equal. They're totally different physical quantities.

Ya i noticed that after i posted.

i will try that though

SammyS said:
Not what I had in mind.

wf = ukmgd = (.75)(2)(9.8)(2) = 29.4 J

would impulse momentum help here?

mpittma1 said:
would impulse momentum help here?

Not really.

Are you familiar with the Work - Energy Theorem ? It tells you the relationship between work done and change in Kinetic Energy.

SammyS said:
Not really.

Are you familiar with the Work - Energy Theorem ? It tells you the relationship between work done and change in Kinetic Energy.

Ya Wnet=ΔKE

So, set 100N = ΔKE of mass 1 and find the initial velocity produced by the spring?

disregard that last post its the same mistake as the first time...

K I am getting close;

.5m1v12=wf

v1 = sqrt(29.4) = 5.422

and to find v2

v2=(m1v1/m2) = 1.36m/s

ugh finally got it!

thanks for all the help!

Where did that 29.4 value materialize from?

NascentOxygen said:
Where did that 29.4 value materialize from?
Its the value of the work done by friction

Wf=μk*m*g*d

mpittma1 said:
Its the value of the work done by friction

Wf=μk*m*g*d
Ah. I can now see that you worked that out earlier.

1. What is the spring constant K?

The spring constant K is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is a physical constant that represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is usually measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the spring constant K determined?

The spring constant K can be determined by applying a known force to a spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The spring constant is then calculated by dividing the force by the displacement. This process can be repeated with different forces to determine the average value of K.

3. What is the significance of finding the spring constant K?

The spring constant K is an important factor in understanding the behavior of springs. It can be used to predict the amount of force needed to compress or stretch a spring by a certain distance, and it also determines the frequency of oscillation of a spring-mass system.

4. What is compression distance and how is it measured?

Compression distance refers to the amount that a spring is compressed when a force is applied. It is typically measured in meters or centimeters. To measure compression distance, the length of the spring is measured before and after the force is applied, and the difference between the two lengths is the compression distance.

5. Can the spring constant K change?

Yes, the spring constant K can change depending on various factors such as the material of the spring, the temperature, and the amount of wear and tear on the spring. It is important to regularly test and calibrate the spring constant to ensure accurate results.