Finding Spring Constant w/ Conservation of Energy

In summary, this conversation discusses the design of a spring for an elevator shaft to ensure that passengers do not undergo an acceleration of more than 5.0 g when the elevator falls. By analyzing the forces and energies involved, the spring stiffness constant k is determined to be equal to 12.0Mg divided by the height h.
logan3

Homework Statement

An engineer is designing a spring to be placed at the bottom of an elevator shaft. If the elevator cable should break when the elevator is at a height h above the top of the spring, calculate the value that the spring stiffness constant k should have so that passengers undergo an acceleration of no more than 5.0 g when brought to rest. Let M be the total mass of the elevator and passengers.

[itex]{\vec s}_{elevator} = h[/itex]
[itex]m = M[/itex]
[itex]\vec F_{net} = 5.0 g[/itex]

Homework Equations

The elevator has it’s maximum velocity, and thus maximum acceleration and force, when the spring is most compressed. The sum of the forces at this point are:

[itex]{\vec F}_{net} = {\vec F}_{spring} - {\vec F}_W = Ma = M5.0g \Rightarrow {\vec F}_{spring} = M5.0g + {\vec F}_W = M5.0g + Mg = 6.0Mg[/itex]

When the spring is most compressed, the total displacement of the elevator will be the distance it fell plus the compression distance of the spring. The displacement of the elevator is h. This means that the lowest position is when the elevator has maximum compression on the spring.

[itex]{\vec s}_{net} = {\vec s}_{elevator} + {\vec s}_{spring} = h + {\vec s}_{spring}[/itex]

At this point, the gravitational PE is zero. During the fal it was converted to KE and as the elevator hit the spring the KE was converted to elastic PE. Thus, the sum of the energies is:

[itex]KE_i + gPE_i + ePE_i = KE_f + gPE_f + ePE_f[/itex], where [itex]gPE[/itex] and [itex]ePE[/itex] are the gravitational and elastic potential energy respectively.

[itex]KE_i = 0 J[/itex]
[itex]gPE_i = Mg(h + {\vec s}_{spring})[/itex]
[itex]ePE_i = 0 J[/itex]
[itex]KE_f = 0 J[/itex]
[itex]gPE_f = 0 J[/itex]
[itex]ePE_f = \frac {1}{2} k {\vec s}_{spring}^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]{\vec F}_{spring} = 6.0Mg = k {\vec s}_{spring} \Rightarrow {\vec s}_{spring} = \frac {6.0Mg}{k}[/itex]

[itex]0 J + gPE_i + 0 J = 0 J + 0 J + ePE_f \Rightarrow gPE_i = ePE_f \Rightarrow Mg(h + {\vec s}_{spring}) = \frac {1}{2} k {\vec s}_{spring}^2[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow k = \frac {{2Mg(h + {\vec s}_{spring})}}{{\vec s}_{spring}^2} = \frac {{2Mg(h + (\frac {6.0Mg}{k}))}}{(\frac {6.0Mg}{k})^2} = \frac {2Mgh}{\frac {36.0M^2g^2}{k^2}} + \frac {\frac {12.0M^2g^2}{k}}{\frac {36.0M^2g^2}{k^2}} = \frac {2Mghk^2}{36.0M^2g^2} + \frac {12.0M^2g^2k^2}{36.0M^2g^2k}[/itex]
[itex]\Rightarrow k = \frac {hk^2}{18.0Mg} + \frac {k}{3.0} \Rightarrow 1 = \frac {hk}{18.0Mg} + \frac {1}{3.0} \Rightarrow \frac {hk}{18.0Mg} = \frac {2}{3} \Rightarrow k = \frac {12.0Mg}{h}[/itex]

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have a question about your solution? Because at a glance it looks to be a correct method and result.

What is the concept of finding spring constant with conservation of energy?

The concept of finding spring constant with conservation of energy is based on the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. In this case, the potential energy stored in a spring is converted into kinetic energy as the spring is compressed or stretched.

What is the formula for finding spring constant with conservation of energy?

The formula for finding spring constant with conservation of energy is k = (2mgh)/x^2, where k is the spring constant, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the object, and x is the distance the spring is compressed or stretched.

How is the spring constant related to the conservation of energy?

The spring constant is directly related to the conservation of energy because it determines the amount of potential energy stored in the spring, which is then converted to kinetic energy. In other words, the spring constant is a measure of how stiff or stretchy the spring is, and it affects the amount of energy that can be stored in the spring.

What are the units of measurement for spring constant?

The units of measurement for spring constant are N/m or kg/s^2, which represent the force required to compress or stretch the spring by one meter or the amount of mass required to stretch the spring by one meter per second squared.

What is the significance of finding spring constant with conservation of energy in scientific research?

Finding spring constant with conservation of energy is an important concept in scientific research, especially in areas such as physics and engineering. It allows scientists and engineers to accurately predict the behavior of springs and other elastic objects, which is crucial in designing and building structures and machines that rely on the use of springs.