Finding Stationary Points of f(x,y) = xye^-x-y

  • Thread starter Thread starter chicago106
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Points
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
chicago106
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Locate and classify all the stationary points of f(x,y) = xye^-x-y)


have i started this right?

dz/dx = y(-1-y)e^-x-y

dz/dy = x(-x-1)e^-x-y

if so what is the next step?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
So we have:

[tex] f(x,y) = xy e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]

(I hope that's correct, I wasn't sure how to read your e^-x-y)

I think the derivatives of this are:

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = y(1-x)e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = x(1-y)e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]

Which is similar to what you have, except the sign in front of the '1' is different.

Once you have the derivatives, do you know how to find a stationary point?
 
Jmf said:
So we have:

[tex] f(x,y) = xy e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]

(I hope that's correct, I wasn't sure how to read your e^-x-y)

I think the derivatives of this are:

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = y(1-x)e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = x(1-y)e^{-(x+y)}[/tex]

Which is similar to what you have, except the sign in front of the '1' is different.

Once you have the derivatives, do you know how to find a stationary point?

That is how you write, I was being lazy. Thanks for that, I can crack on with finding the stationary points.