The limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 when x^2+y^2 approach infinity

In summary, the question asks for the limit of a function as x and y approach infinity. The solution involves using polar coordinates, but the limit is not well defined as it depends on the angle (theta). When theta equals 3pi/4 or 7pi/4, the limit is undefined. This limit is restricted to the line y=-x.
Mahathepp
I try to figure it out but I can't get the answer that I need and when I look upon the solution from the book I don't understand it at all. The answer is " no limit" and there is no explanation why. The question is

Determine the limit of

lim (x2+y2)- -> infinity (xye-(x+y)2

in this case I use polar coordinate which I get

lim r2 - -> infinity ( r2cos(x)sin(X) / er^2(1+sin(2x) )

My idea is since there is (er^2(1+sin(2x)) in denominator which is depening on angle (2x) but I am not sure if I understand correct. Can anyone here help me to figure it out? Thanks in advance.

Regard

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the limit existed, then the result would not depend on how r approaches infinity. As you can see, you will obtain different results depending on the polar coordinate (if you fix it) and therefore the limit is not well defined.

Likes soarce
If x+y = 0, the limit is -∞. If x+y -> ∞, the limit = 0. Manipulation of x+y can lead to any limit.

##\lim\limits_{x^2+y^2\to\infty} x y e^{-(x+y)^2}##

##\lim\limits_{r^2\to\infty} r^2 \cos(\theta) \sin(\theta) e^{-r^2 (1+\sin(2\theta))}##

##\lim\limits_{r^2\to\infty} \frac {r^2 \cos(\theta) \sin(\theta)} {e^{r^2 (1+\sin(2\theta))}}##

The limit is undefined when the ##e^{r^2 (1+\sin (2\theta))}=e^{\infty \cdot 0}## or when ##1+\sin(2\theta)=0## and that happens for ##\theta = \frac{3\pi}{4}, \frac{7\pi}{4}##

##\arctan (\frac{y}{x})=\frac{3\pi}{4}## And that means ##\frac{y}{x}=-1## or along the line ##y=-x## which restricts the domain.

1. What does the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 represent?

The limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 represents the value that the function approaches as the values of x and y approach infinity.

2. How is the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 calculated?

The limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 can be calculated by evaluating the function at infinity. This means plugging in extremely large values for both x and y and seeing what value the function approaches.

3. What is the significance of the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2?

The limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 can provide insight into the behavior of the function at infinity. It can also be used to determine the horizontal asymptote of the function.

4. How does the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 compare to other limits at infinity?

The limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 is similar to other limits at infinity, such as the limit of e^x or the limit of sin(x)/x. However, the specific behavior of the function at infinity may differ.

5. Can the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 be solved algebraically?

In most cases, the limit of xye^-(x+y)^2 cannot be solved algebraically. It typically requires the use of calculus and other advanced mathematical techniques to evaluate the limit accurately.