Finding Tangent Slope at General Point with Limits

• Thread starter Jenninifer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: Adding and substracting that "ax" in the numerator in one of those tricks, and in this case it just adds more writing innecessarily, imo.
Jenninifer
I've been using the formula
lim
x-->a f(x)-f(a)
--------
x-a
I haven't had any problems until I was asked to find the slope of the tangent at the general point whose x-coordinate is a. How do I do it with an a instead of a point?

I'm trying to find it for x^2+x+1

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jenninifer said:
I've been using the formula
lim
x-->a f(x)-f(a)
--------
x-a
I haven't had any problems until I was asked to find the slope of the tangent at the general point whose x-coordinate is a. How do I do it with an a instead of a point?

I'm trying to find it for x^2+x+1

Thanks!

[itex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{x^2+x+1-(a^2+a+1)}{x-a}=\lim_{x\to a}\frac{(x-a)(x+a+1)}{x-a}=\lim_{x\to a} (x+a+1)=2a+1[/itex]

DonAntonio

I got to the first step, but how do you get to the second step?

By the second step do you mean when he factors the numerator, or when he cancels the x-a from the numerator and the denominator?

Jenninifer said:
I got to the first step, but how do you get to the second step?

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{x^2+x+1-(a^2+a+1)}{x-a} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}\frac{x^2+x-a^2-a}{x-a} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}\frac{x^2+ax+x-a^2-ax-a}{x-a}[/itex]

Do you see what to do from there? Creatively adding 0 or multiplying by 1 shows up a lot in mathematics.

scurty said:
[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{x^2+x+1-(a^2+a+1)}{x-a} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}\frac{x^2+x-a^2-a}{x-a} = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}\frac{x^2+ax+x-a^2-ax-a}{x-a}[/itex]

Do you see what to do from there? Creatively adding 0 or multiplying by 1 shows up a lot in mathematics.

I think that when when we reach some level in mathematics, high school tricks only can, sometimes,

confuse and/or make things lengthier and more cumbersome.

Adding and substracting that "ax" in the numerator in one of those tricks, and in this case it just adds more writing innecessarily, imo.

The best, I think, is to observe that we have a difference of squares in the numerator and thus directly to factor:

[itex]x^2+x-a^2-a=x^2-a^2+x-a=(x-a)(x+a)+x-a=(x-a)(x+a+1)[/itex] ...

DonAntonio

Hmm, I didn't think of it that way! I like that way better!

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point, called the point of tangency. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How do limits help find tangent lines?

Limits can be used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is the same as the slope of the tangent line at that point. By taking the limit of the slope between two points as the distance between them approaches zero, we can find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point.

3. Can limits be used to find the equation of a tangent line?

Yes, by using the slope found through limits and the point of tangency, the equation of the tangent line can be written in point-slope form: y – y0 = m(x – x0), where m is the slope and (x0, y0) is the point of tangency.

4. Is it possible for a curve to not have a tangent line at a certain point?

Yes, a curve may not have a tangent line at a point if it has a sharp corner or cusp at that point. In these cases, the slope of the curve is not defined at that point and thus a tangent line cannot be drawn.

5. Are there other applications of using limits to find tangents?

Yes, limits and tangents are used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze rates of change and optimize functions. They also have applications in calculating derivatives and determining the concavity of a curve.