Finding Tension and Angle for a Child's Indoor Swing

In summary, the problem involves a child swinging in a horizontal circle with a rope of length L anchored to the ceiling. The total mass of the child and seat is m and they swing with a constant speed v. The rope makes a constant angle θ with the vertical and the period of one revolution is known as τ. Using the equations F=ma for both horizontal and vertical components, we can solve for the tension T in the rope and the angle θ.
bcd201115

Homework Statement

A child's indoor swing consists of a rope of length L anchored to the ceiling, with a seat at the lower end. The total mass of the child and seat is m. They swing in a horizontal circle with constant speed v. As they swing around, the rope makes a constant angle θ with the vertical. Assuming the time τ for one revolution (i.e., the period) is known, find the tension T in the rope and the angle θ.

Homework Equations

Sorry i know this is a long worded problem but can anyone give me a hand getting started with this one? It's centripetal acceleration problem right?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi bcd201115! welcome to pf! :smile:
bcd201115 said:
… It's centripetal acceleration problem right?

yup!

do F = ma twice, once for horizontal and once for vertical …

what do you get? :smile:

but how does that help me get the tension in the rope?

The tension keep the child from falling to the ground AND keep her swing in a circle.

tiny-tim said:
do F = ma twice, once for horizontal and once for vertical …
what do you get? :smile:
bcd201115 said:
but how does that help me get the tension in the rope?

the tension T and the angle θ are both in both equations,

so you have two equations with two unknowns … which you can solve!

show us what you get :smile:

1) What is tension?

Tension is a force that acts to stretch or pull an object. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2) How do you calculate tension?

Tension can be calculated using the equation T = mg + ma, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3) What factors affect tension?

The tension in a system can be affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration of the object, the angle of the force, and any other external forces acting on the object.

4) How do you find the angle in a tension problem?

To find the angle in a tension problem, you can use the inverse sine function (sin-1) on your calculator. The angle is typically represented as θ (theta) in equations and is measured in degrees or radians.

5) What are some real-life applications of finding tension and angle?

Finding tension and angle is important in many real-life situations, such as determining the strength of cables in bridges, calculating the force needed to lift objects with a pulley system, and understanding the forces acting on a rope during rock climbing.