Finding tension of a string spinning horizontally

In summary, the student is attempting to solve a problem that they are not yet familiar with, and is asking for help.
Madelin Pierce

Homework Statement

Spin 340 gram mass at the end of a 72 cm string in a horizontal circle around head 2.5 rev/s. Calculate tension

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know tension might be equal to mass times centripetal acceleration, but I’m not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a free body diagram showing the forces on the mass.

Madelin Pierce said:

Homework Statement

Spin 340 gram mass at the end of a 72 cm string in a horizontal circle around head 2.5 rev/s. Calculate tension

Homework Equations

I know tension might be equal to mass times centripetal acceleration, but I’m not sure
Not sure if that is what it is or not sure how to calculate it? Why not do the calculation anyway and see if the answer inspires you with any confidence.

This must be a trick question.

Dadface said:
How so?

Likes Chestermiller
Madelin Pierce said:
Hint: Is the string horizontal?

As CWatters suggests, draw a free body diagram for the mass. Analyze horizontal and vertical forces.

Likes CWatters
Dadface said:

gneill said:
How so?
The question is unclear and implies that the string is horizontal, which is impossible.

Dadface said:
The question is unclear and implies that the string is horizontal.
I suppose you could do a calculation assuming the string was horizontal and IF the Tension calculates to many times the weight force, the assumption was reasonable - given the answer will be to 2 significant figures only. Otherwise the question is quite tricky, and the free-body diagram is a good, next, starting point

Dadface said:
The question is unclear and implies that the string is horizontal.
No, it only says that the mass moves in a horizontal circle. Students should be savvy enough to know (or discover) that the string will not be horizontal. It's a learning opportunity, not a trick.

Madelin Pierce said:

This is not "The attempt at a solution".

You must at least know how to start such a problem, i.e. with a free-body diagram. Can't you at least do that and show this? Otherwise, you have a bigger problem in basic mechanics than just this question.

Please note that we can only build upon what you already know! Without you describing what you already know, there's nothing to build on.

Zz.

What is tension?

Tension is the force applied to an object in order to stretch or deform it. In the case of a string spinning horizontally, tension refers to the force being applied to the string in order to keep it taut and maintain its circular motion.

How is tension calculated?

To calculate tension, you need to know the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the string is spinning horizontally. From there, you can use the formula T = mgcosθ, where T is tension, m is mass, g is acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle at which the string is spinning.

What factors affect tension in a string spinning horizontally?

The tension in a string spinning horizontally is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, the angle at which the string is spinning, and any external forces acting on the string.

Why is it important to find the tension of a string spinning horizontally?

Finding the tension of a string spinning horizontally is important because it helps us understand the forces at play and how they affect the motion of the object. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of the string and the object attached to it.

How can tension in a string spinning horizontally be adjusted?

The tension in a string spinning horizontally can be adjusted by changing the angle at which the string is spinning, increasing or decreasing the mass of the object, or by applying external forces to the string. These adjustments will alter the tension and ultimately affect the motion of the object.