Finding the antiderivative of a fractional prob

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for evaluating an integral involving a fractional problem. The suggested strategy is to use substitution, specifically setting u = 1 - e-.5x. This simplifies the integral to \int \frac{du}{u}, which is easy to solve.
MathNoob123
I am suppose to evaluate this integral by using substitution

f'(x)=(e^-0.5x)/(1-e^-.5x)
I will be very thankful if someone were able to tell me a strategy in antiderivitating fractional problems.

What I did:
I set u=-0.5x
dx=du/-0.5

therefore i got (-1/0.5)((e^u)/(1-e^u))du
I am unsure of what the next step would be

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming this is the problem:
[tex]\int \frac{e^{-.5x}}{1 - e^{-.5x}} dx[/tex]

Let u = 1 - e-.5x

Then your integral is more or less
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u}[/tex]
which is pretty easy.

1. What is the definition of an antiderivative of a fractional probability?

An antiderivative of a fractional probability is a function whose derivative is equal to that fraction. It is the inverse operation of taking a derivative, and it allows us to find the original function if we know its derivative.

2. How do you find the antiderivative of a fractional probability?

To find the antiderivative of a fractional probability, we can use the power rule for integration. We raise the variable to the power of the fraction, then divide by the new power. For example, if the fractional probability is x^(1/2), the antiderivative would be (2/3)x^(3/2) + C. The constant C is added to represent all possible antiderivatives.

3. Can we always find the antiderivative of a fractional probability?

No, not all functions have an antiderivative that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions. This is known as the non-elementary antiderivative problem, and it is similar to the non-elementary derivative problem.

4. Are there any special techniques for finding the antiderivative of a fractional probability?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used for specific types of fractional probabilities. These include substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. It is important to have a good understanding of these techniques and when to apply them.

5. How do you use the antiderivative of a fractional probability in real-world applications?

The antiderivative of a fractional probability is useful in many areas of science and engineering, including physics, economics, and statistics. It allows us to model and analyze real-world phenomena, such as velocity and acceleration in physics, using calculus-based techniques.