Finding the Center and Radius of a Sphere in R^3

  • Thread starter Thread starter RyanSchw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Center Sphere
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 14K views
RyanSchw
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Center of a Sphere in R^3

I need to find the center and radius of a sphere given the equation:

[tex] x^2 - 4x + y^2 + z^2 = 0 [/tex]

I would like to hope it would be as easy as just adding 4x to both sides, but having a variable as the radius probably isn’t correct.

On the other hand, I have no idea how to complete the square when no other coefficients are present. Simply adding y and z coefficients only leads to variables I cannot get rid of on the right side of the equation.

Attempts I have thus far
[tex] (x-2)^2 + (y+2)^2 + (z+2)^2 = 12 + 4y + 4z[/tex]
or
[tex] (x-2)^2+y^2+z^2=(\frac{4}{2})^2[/tex]
I’m guessing I need to somehow get x^2 on the left and have the sphere centered about the origin.

Any help would be great, thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll have to complete the square for the x variables then the answer should be straight forward. The cartesian equation of a square centered at (x0, y0, z0) is:

[tex](x-x_0)^2 + (y-y_0)^2 + (z-z_0)^2= r^2[/tex]
 
If I give you the equation (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 + (z-c)^2 = r^2, where a, b, c, and r are constants, does it describe a sphere? (Answer: yes.) What are the (x,y,z) coordinates of the center of the sphere? What is the radius?
 
So would it then be
[tex] (x-2)^2+(y-0)^2+(z-0)^2=(\frac{4}{2})^2[/tex]?

That's about all I can think of =(
 
If that's the equation for the sphere, the center would be (2,0,0) with r=2
 
RyanSchw said:
If that's the equation for the sphere, the center would be (2,0,0) with r=2

Correct! :smile: Although I don't understand where you got 4/2 from?
 
The 4/2 was the factor that I added when I completed the square on both sides. I just left it that way because I wasnt sure where to go from there.

Thank you both for your help!
 
I only got a factor of 4. Never mind you have the correct answer anyway.