Volume of pyramid formed by center of 5 spheres inside a hemisphere

M is parallel to AB. (I was wrong about the tangent to the top circle at M being parallel to AB; I was thinking of the tangent to the bottom sphere at A. But the mistake was irrelevant to the rest of the proof.)Since 2 and 27 are coprime, so m = 2 and n = 27 then m + n = 29I don't understand this part. How do 2 and 27 being coprime relate to the length of the base of the pyramid? ThanksThe volume of the pyramid is (1/3) * base area * height. The height is (2r√3), and the base area is (
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Volume of hemisphere = ##\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##

Volume of pyramid = 1/3 x base area x height
1653115943779.png

Let the radius of the small sphere = r
1653118385921.png

3r = 1 → r = 1/3

##x=\sqrt{4r^2-r^2}=r\sqrt{3}##

Volume of pyramid:
$$=\frac{1}{3} \times (2r\sqrt{3})^2 \times r$$
$$=\frac{4}{27}$$

So m + n = 31, but the answer is 29.

I guess my mistake is assuming line AB is tangent to the top sphere. How to do this question?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: Volume of hemisphere = ##\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##

Volume of pyramid = 1/3 x base area x height

View attachment 301746

View attachment 301748

3r = 1 → r = 1/3

Volume of pyramid:
$$=\frac{1}{3} \times (2r\sqrt{3})^2 \times r$$
$$=\frac{4}{27}$$

So m + n = 31, but the answer is 29.

I guess my mistake is assuming line AB is tangent to the top sphere. How to do this question?

Thanks
You should not assume that, you should prove it. Which is easy.
##2r\sqrt{3}## is the length of what part of the pyramid?

Likes songoku and SammyS
haruspex said:
You should not assume that, you should prove it. Which is easy.
##2r\sqrt{3}## is the length of what part of the pyramid?
##2r\sqrt{3}## is the length of line AB, which is the one side of base of the pyramid.

Sorry I don't know how to prove it. From the picture on the left, it seems AB is not the tangent to the top sphere.
1653180662887.png

songoku said:
##2r\sqrt{3}## is the length of line AB, which is the one side of base of the pyramid.

Sorry I don't know how to prove it. From the picture on the left, it seems AB is not the tangent to the top sphere.
View attachment 301768
You seem to be confused about the arrangement. Look at the three spheres shown in the right hand diagram in the problem statement. Which three do they correspond to in the left hand diagram?

Likes berkeman and songoku
haruspex said:
You seem to be confused about the arrangement. Look at the three spheres shown in the right hand diagram in the problem statement. Which three do they correspond to in the left hand diagram?
1653183580859.png

songoku said:
Compare how close 1 and 3 are to each other in those two diagrams. Do they really look the same?

Likes songoku
haruspex said:
Compare how close 1 and 3 are to each other in those two diagrams. Do they really look the same?
Ah I understand and I got the answer. I am also able to prove that line AB is tangent to the top sphere but I did it by using equation of circle and straight line. Is there easier way to prove that it? Maybe using geometry or something else?

Thanks

Likes berkeman, Delta2 and Lnewqban
songoku said:
I am also able to prove that line AB is tangent to the top sphere but I did it by using equation of circle and straight line. Is there easier way to prove that it? Maybe using geometry or something else?

Thanks
Reflect the elevation (cross-section) diagram about the horizontal plane to get six spheres in a larger sphere. Do you see the hexagon and its equilateral triangles?

Btw, the plan view provided with the question is a bit misleading. It should not show the spheres touching the enclosing circle if that is supposed to represent a circumference of the hemisphere. As you can see from the elevation view, there should be a small gap.

Likes songoku and Lnewqban
What is the meaning of (m, n) = 1?

haruspex said:
Reflect the elevation (cross-section) diagram about the horizontal plane to get six spheres in a larger sphere. Do you see the hexagon and its equilateral triangles?
Yes, I see it
Lnewqban said:
I am not so sure but my guess is HCF of m and n is 1

Thank you very much haruspex and Lnewqban

songoku said:
my guess is HCF of m and n is 1
Yes, it's one way to say that m and n are coprime.

Likes songoku and Delta2
Lnewqban said:
(m,n) stands for the greatest common divisor of m and n.

Likes songoku, Lnewqban and Delta2
Thanks to @songoku, @haruspex and @Prof B.

Now, I don't understand how the volume of the pyramid, m/n, as well as m+n are related to the radius of the semisphere, to the coprime fact and to prove that line AB is tangent to the top sphere.

Could you songoku show your revised work that led you to the correct answer, please?

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    284.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
Thanks to @songoku, @haruspex and @Prof B.

Now, I don't understand how the volume of the pyramid, m/n, as well as m+n are related to the radius of the semisphere, to the coprime fact and to prove that line AB is tangent to the top sphere.

Could you songoku show your revised work that led you to the correct answer, please?
Lnewqban said:
songoku said:
View attachment 301748

3r = 1 → r = 1/3

Based on your diagram and what I did in post#1, line AB is the diagonal of the base of the pyramid. Let ##a## is the length of the base of the pyramid, then:
$$(AB)^{2}=2a^2$$
$$(2x)^{2}=2a^2$$
$$12r^2=2a^2$$
$$a^2=6r^2$$
$$a^2=6\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^{2}$$
$$a^2=\frac{2}{3}$$

Volume of pyramid:
$$=\frac{1}{3}a^2r$$
$$=\frac{1}{3} . \frac{2}{3}.\frac{1}{3}$$
$$=\frac{2}{27}$$

Since 2 and 27 are coprime, so m = 2 and n = 27 then m + n = 29

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
Thank you very much for your response, @songoku ; it is much clearer to me now.

I have drawn section A-A at scale, showing the main dimensions, the hexagon mentioned by @haruspex , as well as the 0.08 gap that should be seen between the edge of the semi-sphere glass cover and the (4) smaller glass spheres when looking from above (elevation view).

Spheres 2.jpg

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help and explanation haruspex, Lnewqban, Prof B

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and Delta2
Lnewqban said:
Now, I don't understand how ... to prove that line AB is tangent to the top sphere.
Draw the hexagon as recommended by haruspex. Each of its internal angles is 120 degrees. Three consecutive vertices of that hexagon form an isosceles triangle AXB, so its other angles are 30 degrees.
Let M be the midpoint of AB. Two of the angles in MBX are 30 and 60 degrees. Since the angles in a triangle add up to 180 degrees, the other angle must be 90 degrees, i.e., the angle XMB is a 90 degree angle. XM is a radius of the top circle. The tangent to that circle at M is perpendicular to the radius XM. BM is also perpendicular to XM. Since only one line through M is perpendicular to XM, BM must be tangent to the top circle.

Note: The base of an isosceles triangle that has sides of length ## s ## and top angle ## \theta ## is equal to ## 2s\sin(\theta/2) ##, which in our problem is ## 2 \cdot 2r \cdot \sqrt{3}/2 = 2r\sqrt{3} ##, so the fact that AB is tangent to the top circle is merely tangential to the solution of the problem.

Last edited:
Likes songoku and Lnewqban

What is the formula for finding the volume of a pyramid formed by the center of 5 spheres inside a hemisphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a pyramid formed by the center of 5 spheres inside a hemisphere is V = (1/3)πr2h, where r is the radius of the hemisphere and h is the height of the pyramid.

How do you determine the radius of the hemisphere?

The radius of the hemisphere can be determined by dividing the diameter of the hemisphere by 2. This can also be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the radius is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the height and the radius of the pyramid.

What is the height of the pyramid?

The height of the pyramid can be calculated by subtracting the radius of the hemisphere from the radius of the pyramid. This can also be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem, where the height is equal to the square root of the difference between the squares of the radius of the pyramid and the radius of the hemisphere.

How do you find the volume of a single sphere?

The volume of a single sphere can be calculated using the formula V = (4/3)πr3, where r is the radius of the sphere. This can also be determined by using the displacement method, where the sphere is submerged in a graduated cylinder filled with water, and the change in water level is measured.

What is the total volume of the pyramid formed by the center of 5 spheres inside a hemisphere?

The total volume of the pyramid formed by the center of 5 spheres inside a hemisphere is equal to the sum of the volumes of the 5 spheres and the pyramid. This can be calculated by multiplying the volume of a single sphere by 5 and adding it to the volume of the pyramid.