Cal 3, writing an equation of a sphere with r=7...

In summary, the equation of the sphere with radius 7 and center on the positive z-axis, if the sphere is tangent to the plane z=0, is (x-h)^2 +(y-k)^2 +(z-l)^2 = 49.
MidgetDwarf
Member warned about posting without the HW template
Write the equation of the sphere with radius 7 and center on the positive z-axis, if the sphere is tangent to the plane z=0.

I know this is an easy problem if i understood the terminology better.

The equation of a sphere (x-h)^2 +(y-k)^2 +(z-l)^2 = 49.

I know that the plane z is the set S={(x,y,0)| z=0}, it is a plane parallel to the xy-axis (vertical plane).

What does it mean by, " with radius 7 and center on the positive z-axis"?

Is it x^2+y^2 +(z-l)^2=49 ?

I am not sure how to proceed.

At first i used the equation of the sphere.

(x-h)^2 +(y-k)^2 +(z-l)^2 = 49.

and I let h=x k=y and z=0 (points taken from the plane)

I end up with (-l)^2=49

l=7.

I need a new equation representing the the tangent from the sphere and plane.

can I say x^2 +y^2 +(z-7)^2= 49? It is the answer in the back of the book.

My argument looks very weak and flawed.

Physics news on Phys.org
MidgetDwarf said:
Write the equation of the sphere with radius 7 and center on the positive z-axis, if the sphere is tangent to the plane z=0.

I know this is an easy problem if i understood the terminology better.

The equation of a sphere (x-h)^2 +(y-k)^2 +(z-l)^2 = 49.

I know that the plane z is the set S={(x,y,0)| z=0}, it is a plane parallel to the xy-axis (vertical plane).

What does it mean by, " with radius 7 and center on the positive z-axis"?

The radius of the sphere = 7. What's unclear about that?

If the center of the sphere is located somewhere on the positive z-axis, what does this tell you about the x and y coordinates of the center? Where is the z-axis located in the xy-plane?

If the sphere:

1. has a radius of 7 and
2. the center is located on the positive z-axis and
3. is tangent to the plane z = 0

Can't you use the geometry of the sphere to determine the coordinates of the center? This can be done by inspection (i.e., without the need for calculation).

MidgetDwarf said:

Remind that a plane tangent to a sphere is always vertical to the radius joining the center of the sphere and the point where they meet.

Also what does it mean for the sphere to have its center on the positive z-axis, which is a part of x=y=0?

Problem needs no calculus to be solved. Moved to the Pre-calculus HW forum (again).

C. Lee said:
Remind that a plane tangent to a sphere is always vertical to the radius joining the center of the sphere and the point where they meet.

Also what does it mean for the sphere to have its center on the positive z-axis, which is a part of x=y=0?

It means that it's center is (0,0,l), we don't know what point l is, only that l is in the positive direction of the z-axis. The z plane is a horizontal plane. so i measure from the center to the z plane. I get X^2+ Y^2 + (Z-7)^2 =49.

MidgetDwarf said:
It means that it's center is (0,0,l), we don't know what point l is, only that l is in the positive direction of the z-axis. The z plane is a horizontal plane. so i measure from the center to the z plane. I get X^2+ Y^2 + (Z-7)^2 =49.

Correct.

MidgetDwarf said:
You're not thinking thru this clearly. Making a sketch may help.

If the plane z = 0 is tangent to the sphere, how far away is it from the center of the sphere?

MidgetDwarf said:
It means that it's center is (0,0,l), we don't know what point l is, only that l is in the positive direction of the z-axis.
Badly worded. "l" is not a point, it is a number. And since it is a number, l is not in any direction. If the xy-plane is tangent to the sphere, what is l?

The z plane is a horizontal plane. so i measure from the center to the z plane.
There is NO "z plane". You mean either the "z= 0 plane" or the "xy- plane".

I get X^2+ Y^2 + (Z-7)^2 =49.
Yes, that is correct. Now, how did you get the "Z- 7"?[/quote][/QUOTE]

1. What is the equation for a sphere with a radius of 7?

The equation for a sphere with a radius of 7 is x2 + y2 + z2 = 49. This equation represents all points in 3D space that are exactly 7 units away from the origin in any direction.

2. How do I write an equation for a sphere with a given radius?

To write an equation for a sphere with a given radius, simply substitute the value of the radius (r) into the standard equation for a sphere: x2 + y2 + z2 = r2. This will give you the equation for a sphere with the given radius centered at the origin.

3. What does the equation of a sphere represent?

The equation of a sphere represents all points in 3D space that are a fixed distance (the radius) away from a central point (the center of the sphere). This means that any point that satisfies the equation is located on the surface of the sphere.

4. Is it possible to write an equation for a sphere with a negative radius?

No, it is not possible to write an equation for a sphere with a negative radius. The radius of a sphere must be a positive number, as it represents the distance from the center to any point on the surface of the sphere. A negative radius would result in imaginary points, which do not exist in the real world.

5. Can the equation of a sphere be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a sphere can be written in different forms, depending on the information that is given. For example, if the center of the sphere is not at the origin, the equation can be written as (x - h)2 + (y - k)2 + (z - l)2 = r2, where (h, k, l) represents the coordinates of the center. Additionally, the equation can also be written in parametric form or vector form.