Finding the coefficent of static friction

In summary, in order for a roller coaster car to complete a circular loop of radius r, the minimum coefficient of static friction that the wheels must have is min(Cf, v).
pinkerpikachu
1. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction required for a roller-coaster car to complete a circular loop of radius r, if it is traveling with sufficient speed v? I'm just very confused with all of this because the question seems so broad and there are so many things to consider.

A little bump or nudge in the right direction is highly appreciated.

Also I don't really know what kind of things I am supposed to assume besides the weight of the rollercoaster car, the velocity, and the radius. Is that sufficient information?

Help is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pinkerpikachu said:
1. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction required for a roller-coaster car to complete a circular loop of radius r, if it is traveling with sufficient speed v?
I don't understand the question. Are you presenting it word for word exactly as it was given?

Yes, that is word for word.

It means (these are all values off the top of my head), assuming the weight for a rollercoaster car is about 1000 kg, it is going at a speed 40 m/s around a loop with radius r= 100m what is the minimum coefficient of static friction that the wheels must have for the car to be able to complete the loop.

I though it should be a kinetic friction at first, but i remembered that what allows a wheel to turn is all static friction

Sorry, but the question still makes no sense to me. You can make the coefficient of friction zero for all it matters, let the wheels slide instead of roll.

(Is this from a textbook, by any chance? Or one made up by your professor?)

its one by my professor.

hm...sorry I can't make you understand it.

one more try:

There is a rollercoaster car, it order for it to complete a loop its wheels have to have a certain static friction coefficient at a certain velocity. Taking into count all of the forces on the coaster, what is the coefficent of static friction?

Thanks for trying.

What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that measures the maximum amount of friction force that must be overcome before an object starts moving on a surface. It is represented by the symbol μs.

How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction can be determined experimentally by measuring the maximum force required to start an object moving on a surface, and dividing it by the normal force acting on the object. It can also be calculated using the formula μs = Ff / Fn, where Ff is the force of friction and Fn is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surface, the weight and surface area of the object, and the materials of the object and surface. Additionally, the coefficient of static friction can vary depending on the direction of the force applied.

Why is it important to know the coefficient of static friction?

Knowing the coefficient of static friction is important in many real-world applications, such as designing brakes for vehicles, selecting materials for tires, and determining the stability of objects on inclined surfaces. It can also help prevent accidents and injuries by determining the maximum force needed to move an object.

Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This indicates that a greater force is needed to overcome the friction and start an object moving. However, it is rare for the coefficient of static friction to be greater than 1, as most surfaces have a coefficient of static friction between 0 and 1.