Finding the deBroglie wavelength: conceptual issue

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving finding the wavelength of an electron with a given kinetic energy. The student attempted to solve it using different equations and methods, but encountered a discrepancy in their results. It was later clarified that the equation they were given only applies to photons, not particles with mass. It was suggested to use the correct equation, E=√((pc)^2+(mc^2)^2), which still includes the speed of light.
bachfromthedead
Hello all! I am new to this forum, though I have been lurking for a long time. I intend to fill out my profile and introduce myself, but finals leave me with little time to spare at the moment. I have this final next week and would like to sort this out beforehand, hence the hasty post!
Thank you in advance.

1. Homework Statement

An electron has kinetic energy 3.50eV. Find it's wavelength.

Homework Equations

(1) p=mv
(2) K=½mv2
(3) p=E/c=h/λ

(4) Er=mc2
(5) Etotal=K+Er

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: my prof said not to use relativistic equations, as the energy is not high enough, but we have covered relativity in this class.
I now know how to solve this problem:
I solved for the speed of the electron with the kinetic energy formula, and put it into the following:
λ=h/(mv)
I got 0.656nm, which is correct.

My problem is that I did not initially solve the problem this way. What I did first was calculate the rest energy of the electron (Er=mc2) and add it to the kinetic energy to get the "total" energy. This was based off an equation which I was given by my prof: Etotal=K+Er. I then took that "total" energy and solved for the wavelength by deriving the equation: λ=hc/E from equation (3) above. I got the wrong answer, 0.00242nm, with this method.
What I don't understand is why my original method does not work. I'm assuming my fundamental understanding of these equations is wrong. Is the total energy of the electron not the rest energy plus the kinetic energy? Is there something I'm missing? My professor was not helpful this time around, so I'm turning to you guys!
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

bachfromthedead said:
This was based off an equation which I was given by my prof: Etotal=K+Er. I then took that "total" energy and solved for the wavelength by deriving the equation: λ=hc/E from equation (3) above. I got the wrong answer, 0.00242nm, with this method.

In getting the equation λ=hc/E, it looks like you assumed that the momentum is related to energy by p = E/c. This is not correct for electrons. (But it is correct for photons.)

Likes bachfromthedead
[QUOTE="bachfromthedead, post: 5450436, member: 591656".[/QUOTE]
E = pc is true only if E is kinetic energy only. Rest energy must be zero, as in a photon.
For a particle of rest mass m, E = γmc2 - mc2 = kineic energy = total energy - rest energy.

Likes bachfromthedead
Thank you very much to both of you! It makes sense now, I think that the way these equations were presented in my class was the root of my confusion. I should have realized that E=pc would only apply to photons as it includes c.

bachfromthedead said:
I should have realized that E=pc would only apply to photons as it includes c.
For particles that have mass ##m##, ##E = \sqrt{(pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2}##. This still contains ##c##.

For massless particles like the photon, this reduces to ##E = pc##.

1. What is the deBroglie wavelength and why is it important in science?

The deBroglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of matter particles. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of particles on a microscopic level and is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the deBroglie wavelength calculated?

The deBroglie wavelength can be calculated using the equation: λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. What is the relationship between the deBroglie wavelength and the momentum of a particle?

According to deBroglie's equation, the deBroglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of a particle. This means that as the momentum of a particle increases, its deBroglie wavelength decreases.

4. Can the deBroglie wavelength be applied to all particles?

Yes, the deBroglie wavelength can be applied to all particles, including electrons, protons, and even larger particles like atoms and molecules. However, it is most commonly used for particles with very small masses, such as electrons.

5. How does the deBroglie wavelength relate to the uncertainty principle?

The deBroglie wavelength is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. The smaller the deBroglie wavelength, the more accurately we can know a particle's momentum, but the less accurately we can know its position.