Finding the Density of a Duck Floating on a Lake

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 12K views
MKM
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
A duck is floating on a lake with 28% of its volume beneath the water. What is the average density of the duck?
This question seems pretty straight froward I realize ultimately that in order to find the answer the duck density= duck mass/duck V. If it is 28% I am assuming that should equal .28V and I know I need to use the formula for buoyant force FB=Weight of fluid=density of fluid x Volume of fluid x g I can plug in the density of fluid but I am not sure how to find all of the other variables having only been given a percentage of the Volume.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You said that the bouyancy force is equal to the the weight of water displaced. So what is the force oppossing this?

i.e. Can you write the weight of the duck in terms of it's density and volume?

Regards,
Sam
 
Lets say the volume of the duck is one(this assumption won't change anything since the density of the duck doesn't depend on its mass, it will sink 28% of its volume no matter what its volume is). then the volume beneath water is 28/100. The mass of the duck times g will be equal to the density of water times 28/100 times g.

[tex]M\times{9.8} = d_{w}\times{0.28}\times{9.8}[/tex]

Now, the volume is [tex]\frac{M}{V} = M[/tex]
 
MKM said:
I think its W= density .28V x 9.8

Almost, its whole mass is going to give it weight, think about your V term.
Tip: Always write algebra until the end, just in case things cancel (especially g). :wink:

So you have:

[tex]W=?=Bouyancy=\rho_{watter}V_{water}g[/tex]

You also know:
[tex]V_{water}=0.28V_{duck}[/tex]

dx said:
Now, the volume is
[tex]\frac{M}{V}=M[/tex]

Surely a typo !??

Regards,
Sam