Find Time to Reach Top of Beaker (10 cm)

• Thread starter Orlo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Submerged
In summary, a sphere submerged in a fluid at height h0 experiences a buoyant force and a drag force. The buoyant force is due to the pressure of the water above the sphere, and the drag force is due to the relationship between reynold's number and the drag force for a sphere. There is only the buoyant force upwards. To find the time taken to reach the top of the beaker, point at which h=0.1, you would have to write down a differential equation of the form ##\dfrac{du}{dt}=\text{BF}-mg-ku## where BF is the buoyant force and ##ku## is the drag force.
Orlo
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Suppose I have a ball which is submerged in a fluid at height h0

The mass (m) is given

The density of the fluid (ρw) is given

The density of the object (ρo) and it's volume (4/3pi*r^2) are also given

We can define all forces pushing the object downwards :

Gravity
m*g
Ignore altitude dependancy, gravity is negative.

Pressure from the water above the ball
pi *r^2*m*ρw*(h0-d)
where d is the displacement of the sphere from the origin

The drag force, combined with the relationship between reynold's number and the drag force for a sphere is:
42μLu/r

where μ is the dynamic viscosity
L is the characteristic length
u is the velocity
r is the radius

Upwards there is only the buoyant force, which is -ρw*g*4/3pi*r^2How would I find the time taken to reach the top of the beaker, considering the beaker is 10 centimetres tall, thanks in advance for any help:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Orlo said:
volume (4/3pi*r^2)
Check the volume of a sphere. Should it not be r^3 ?

Likes Steve4Physics
Welcome @Orlo -- Is this question for schoolwork? If so, we can move it to the schoolwork forums.

It seems to me that you can use Newton's second law to find the acceleration and use that in a kinematic equation to find the time. I would assume that "to reach the top of the beaker" means that the top of the ball just breaks the surface. The buoyant force becomes a bit tricky once the ball breaks the surface.

kuruman said:
The buoyant force becomes a bit tricky once the ball breaks the surface.
It becomes tricky even before the ball breaks the surface. The rising ball can create turbulence which will affect its path. So it won't just rise vertically, but oscillate horizontally as well. This can be easily observed with balls released under water in a pool or bathtub.

Here a relevant paper:
https://journals.aps.org/prfluids/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.1.074501

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
berkeman said:
Welcome @Orlo -- Is this question for schoolwork? If so, we can move it to the schoolwork forums.
Yes, it is, I was unaware there was one my bad 😬
A.T. said:
It becomes tricky even before the ball breaks the surface. The rising ball can create turbulence which will affect its path. So it won't just rise vertically, but oscillate horizontally as well. This can be easily observed with balls released under water in a pool or bathtub.

Here a relevant paper:
For my purposes I ignore that turbulence as I have a work around

kuruman said:
It seems to me that you can use Newton's second law to find the acceleration and use that in a kinematic equation to find the time. I would assume that "to reach the top of the beaker" means that the top of the ball just breaks the surface. The buoyant force becomes a bit tricky once the ball breaks the surface.
Yup, to just break the surface

Likes berkeman
Orlo said:
Yes, it is, I was unaware there was one my bad 😬

For my purposes I ignore that turbulence as I have a work aroundYup, to just break the surface
Then you would have to write down a differential equation of the form ##\dfrac{du}{dt}=\text{BF}-mg-ku## where BF is the buoyant force and ##ku## is the drag force to get ##v(t)##. From that, you can get ##y(t)## and then the time. It would be prudent to bundle the constant forces BF - mg under a single symbol, say F, and substitute the constants they depend on at the very end.

Likes Steve4Physics
kuruman said:
Then you would have to write down a differential equation of the form ##\dfrac{du}{dt}=\text{BF}-mg-ku## where BF is the buoyant force and ##ku## is the drag force to get ##v(t)##. From that, you can get ##y(t)## and then the time. It would be prudent to bundle the constant forces BF - mg under a single symbol, say F, and substitute the constants they depend on at the very end.
Yup, I have done that, I related the drag force to reynold's number for a sphere, as that is relevant for my paper. The resulting equation is:

F=-36πrμv-gρwπr2h+k

Where f is the total forces o the object, r is the radius, μ is the dynamic viscosity, ρw is the density of water, and h is the displacement from the origin. If i want to know the time the ball takes to break the surface of the water, point at which h=0.1, how would I go about that? k is a bunch of constant forces, including gravity, a part of the pressure force and the buoyant force. v is the velocity of the ball.

g is negative for my purposes, in case something didn't add up

Orlo said:
F=-36πrμv-gρwπr2h+k
36πrμv doesn't look right. You may want to read up Stokes’ law to check you have the correct expression for the drag force.

wπr2h is the downwards force on the upper surface of a horizontal disc. So it is irrelevant here. You may want to read up on buoyancy to get the correct expression for the upthrust force

Some other random thoughts...

Note that velocity is ##v= \frac {dh}{dt}## and acceleration is ##a = \frac {d^2h}{dt^2}##. With a correct equation for the net force you can use ‘F=ma’. Replace F with ##m\frac {d^2h}{dt^2}##. And replace v by ##\frac {dh}{dt}##. Then you have a second order differential equation. The solution gives the relationship between h and t.

A diagram helps, e.g. is h measured from the top, centre or bottom of the ball?

Steve4Physics said:
36πrμv doesn't look right. You may want to read up Stokes’ law to check you have the correct expression for the drag force.

wπr2h is the downwards force on the upper surface of a horizontal disc. So it is irrelevant here. You may want to read up on buoyancy to get the correct expression for the upthrust force

Some other random thoughts...

Note that velocity is ##v= \frac {dh}{dt}## and acceleration is ##a = \frac {d^2h}{dt^2}##. With a correct equation for the net force you can use ‘F=ma’. Replace F with ##m\frac {d^2h}{dt^2}##. And replace v by ##\frac {dh}{dt}##. Then you have a second order differential equation. The solution gives the relationship between h and t.

A diagram helps, e.g. is h measured from the top, centre or bottom of the ball?
Thanks for the reply, well 36πrμv is what I get combining the equation for drag force and the relationship between reynold's number and the drag coefficient of a sphere.
wπr2h do I remove this? The buoyancy force is included in k...

Yup, ik that, but idk how to solve that system...

I see @Steve4Physics got there before me. It seems you are confused about the buoyant force which is basically the net sum of all the "pressure times area" forces exerted on the object by the fluid. See here for a simplified description.

As I indicated to you in post #7, you need to solve an equation of the form $$\frac{dv}{dt}=F-kv$$To solve, you need to separate variables and integrate.

kuruman said:
I see @Steve4Physics got there before me. It seems you are confused about the buoyant force which is basically the net sum of all the "pressure times area" forces exerted on the object by the fluid. See here for a simplified description.

As I indicated to you in post #7, you need to solve an equation of the form $$\frac{dv}{dt}=F-ku$$To solve, you need to separate variables and integrate.
My bad, I didn't understand, that simplifies it a lot, now I can solve it myself, thanks for your help :)

Likes kuruman
Orlo said:
My bad, I didn't understand, that simplifies it a lot, now I can solve it myself, thanks for your help :)
Note that I edited my post #11 to correct the typo that had ##v## on the left side and ##u## on the right side for the velocity. It should be the same on both sides.

kuruman said:
Note that I edited my post #11 to correct the typot hat had ##v## on the left side and ##u## on the right side for the velocity. It should be the same on both sides.

Orlo said:
... 36πrμv is what I get combining the equation for drag force and the relationship between reynold's number and the drag coefficient of a sphere.
Note that Stoke’s law applies when the Reynolds number is very small. Stoke’ law basically gives the drag force on a sphere moving slowly with laminar flow through a viscous medium. This drag force is proportional to v.

But the drag coefficient (which you mention) is usually applied when the Reynolds number is larger. Crudely, this corresponds to some turbulence behind the moving object. In these situations, drag force is often taken to be proportional to v².

I recommend you decide what regime you are in, and carefully examine how you got 36πrμv!

Thanks for the reply, I did some more research, I will be using stokes' law, I had not heard of it up till now, thank you very much, this simplifies a lot of things.

A.T. said:

Here a relevant paper:
This sounds probably correct, but just for the record I am afraid you are considering too much realism for this college/high school level problem. Many such problems are simplified from details of the complex reality like turbulence.

Likes Steve4Physics

What is the purpose of finding time to reach the top of the beaker?

The purpose of finding time to reach the top of the beaker is to measure the rate of fluid flow or the velocity of an object moving through the fluid.

How is the time to reach the top of the beaker calculated?

The time to reach the top of the beaker can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled (10 cm) by the velocity of the object.

What factors can affect the time to reach the top of the beaker?

The time to reach the top of the beaker can be affected by the viscosity of the fluid, the shape and size of the object, and the force applied to the object.

Why is it important to repeat the experiment multiple times?

Repeating the experiment multiple times helps to minimize errors and ensure accuracy in the results. It also allows for the calculation of an average time, which can provide a more reliable measurement.

What are some potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include human error in timing the object's movement, variations in the fluid's viscosity, and external factors such as air resistance or friction on the object.