1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the density of a liquid with buoyancy

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1
    A rectangular block is gradually pushed faced-down into a liquid. The block has height d; on the bottom and top the face area is A=5.67 cm^2 . Also shown is a graph that shows the apparent weight W_app of the block as a function of the depth h of its lower face. What is the density of the liquid in units of g/cm^3

Originally I used the equation B=p(fluid)ghA and solved for the density of the fluid. First of all, is this the right equation to use?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2
    I can't for some reason post the figures but if anyone can still give me some help without the use of the figures would be greatly appreciated.
  4. Nov 13, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparent weight W_a is actual weight W minus the buoyant force B.

W_a = W - B

I assume your graph starts with W_a = 0 at some h and then goes down as h increases. The buoyant force is the Area of the face times the pressure (ρgh), as you have written it. Everything in B is a constant except for h, and W is a constant. The equation above is the equation of a straight line. There is a connection between the slope of that line and the constant factors in B. What is that connection?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?