Density of a solid and Clapeyron equation

In summary: That is a correct expression for the change in pressure if ##\Delta H = \Delta h_L##, where ##\Delta h_L ## is the change in vertical length of the liquid phase, ##h_{L,f}-h_{L,0}##. But, mass conservation implies ##\rho_L \Delta h_L =-\rho_S \Delta h_S## where ##\Delta h_S## is the change in vertical length of the solid phase, ##h_{S,f}-h_{S,0}##. So you can express the pressure change in terms of ##\rho_S## and ##\Delta h_S##.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
A long vertical column is closed at the bottom and open at the top; it is
partially filled with a particular liquid and cooled to -5°C. At this temperature
the fluid solidifies below a particular level, remaining liquid above this level. If the
temperature is further lowered to -5.2°C the solid-liquid interface moves
upward by 40 cm. The latent heat (per unit mass) is 2 cal/g, and the density of
the liquid phase is 1 g/cm3. Find the density of the solid phase. Neglect thermal
expansion of all materials.
So i think i am missing something pretty dumb, but anyway:

$$|\Delta P_{ressure}| = \rho_{s} g \Delta H$$

Claperyon equation:

$$\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} = \frac{\Delta L_{m}}{\Delta V_{m} T}$$

Equally both:

$$|\rho_{s}| = \frac{|\Delta T \Delta L_{m}|}{|\Delta H \Delta V_{m} g T|}$$

My problem is, how do i find ##\Delta V_{m}##?? Shouldn't it be given?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
LCSphysicist said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

So i think i am missing something pretty dumb, but anyway:

$$|\Delta P_{ressure}| = \rho_{s} g \Delta H$$
The phase change takes place at the interface between the liquid and solid phases. What determines the pressure at this location?

Also, I would recommend not taking absolute values in this problem. You will need to be careful with signs.

LCSphysicist said:
Claperyon equation:

$$\frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} = \frac{\Delta L_{m}}{\Delta V_{m} T}$$
My problem is, how do i find ##\Delta V_{m}##?? Shouldn't it be given?
You have the ratio ##\frac{\Delta L_{m}}{\Delta V_{m}}## where, presumably, the subscript ##m## refers to molar values. However, the ratio is the same if you think of the ##m## as indicating per unit mass instead of per mole. (The data in the problem is given in terms of unit mass.) Can you express the change in specific volume, ##\Delta V_{m}##, in terms of ##\rho_s## and ##\rho_l##?

Likes Delta2
The trick to solving this problem is to tentatively assume that the density of the solid phase is very nearly equal to the density of the liquid phase.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Yes, i just got $$\rho_s = \frac{\Delta L |\Delta T|} {|\Delta H| g T} (\frac{1}{\rho_L}-\frac{1}{\rho_s})^{-1}$$, unfortunatelly substituing the numerical values give something very wrong ;P

LCSphysicist said:
Yes, i just got $$\rho_s = \frac{\Delta L |\Delta T|} {|\Delta H| g T} (\frac{1}{\rho_L}-\frac{1}{\rho_s})^{-1}$$, unfortunatelly substituing the numerical values give something very wrong ;P
Let's see exactly what you did. Incidentally, the equation should read: $$\rho_L = \frac{\Delta L |\Delta T|} {|\Delta H| g T} (\frac{1}{\rho_L}-\frac{1}{\rho_s})^{-1}$$

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
This looks correct to me. I'm assuming that ##\Delta H## represents the increase in height of the solid and ##\Delta L## is the (positive) latent heat. When you solve this symbolically for ##\rho_s##, what expression do you get?

TSny said:
This looks correct to me. I'm assuming that ##\Delta H## represents the increase in height of the solid and ##\Delta L## is the (positive) latent heat. When you solve this symbolically for ##\rho_s##, what expression do you get?
Since the liquid is on top, why isn't the pressure change at the phase change interface ##\rho_L g \Delta H##?

Chestermiller said:
Since the liquid is on top, why isn't the pressure change at the phase change interface ##\rho_L g \Delta H##?
That is a correct expression for the change in pressure if ##\Delta H = \Delta h_L##, where ##\Delta h_L ## is the change in vertical length of the liquid phase, ##h_{L,f}-h_{L,0}##. But, mass conservation implies ##\rho_L \Delta h_L =-\rho_S \Delta h_S## where ##\Delta h_S## is the change in vertical length of the solid phase, ##h_{S,f}-h_{S,0}##. So you can express the pressure change in terms of ##\rho_S## and ##\Delta h_S##.

1656855935660.png

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller

1. What is the definition of density of a solid?

The density of a solid is the measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume of the solid. It is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

2. How is the density of a solid calculated?

The density of a solid can be calculated by dividing the mass of the solid by its volume. This can be expressed as the equation: density = mass/volume. The mass can be measured in grams or kilograms, and the volume can be measured in cubic centimeters or cubic meters.

3. What is the Clapeyron equation?

The Clapeyron equation is a mathematical relationship between the density, pressure, and temperature of a substance. It is often used in thermodynamics to describe the behavior of gases and liquids, but can also be applied to solids.

4. How is the Clapeyron equation used to determine the density of a solid?

The Clapeyron equation can be rearranged to solve for density (d), given the pressure (P), temperature (T), and a constant (R) specific to the substance being analyzed. The equation is: d = P/(RT). By plugging in the known values, the density of the solid can be calculated.

5. What are some factors that can affect the density of a solid?

The density of a solid can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the solid. Changes in temperature and pressure can cause the solid to expand or contract, thus affecting its density. The chemical composition can also play a role, as different substances have different densities.