1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the distance at which Car 1 overtakes Car 2

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Problem 1:
    Two cars are traveling along a straight road. Car A maintains a constant speed of 86 km/h; car B maintains a constant speed of 106 km/h. At t = 0, car B is 30 km behind car A. How far will car A travel from t = 0 before it is overtaken by car B?

Problem 2:
    At t = 0, a stone is dropped from a cliff above a lake; 1.5 seconds later another stone is thrown downward from the same point with an initial speed of 31 m/s. Both stones hit the water at the same instant. Find the height of the cliff.

These are two problems that came up on the homework, and I still am unable to solve them. I am able to get all the problems with one object involved, I just don't seem to comprehend how to set these up and solve them. Any help is appreciated.

Equations in this chapter:
    v = v0+at
    [itex]\Delta[/itex]x=v0t+1/2at2
    vav=1/2(v0+v)

I have tried graphing the problems to understand them, but I think I am lacking the fundamental understanding of what each should look like. I have reread the chapter and I am still in the same boat. Text book: Physics for Scientists and Engineers 5th ed.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums.

HINT: When the two cars/stones overtake/hit the water, their relative displacements will be zero. In order words you are looking for the distance when their two positions are the same.

4. Aug 24, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the hint and the welcome!

For the first problem, I am assuming the acceleration is 0. Therefore, I can use the 2nd formula as delta x = (v0)t

I believe delta x of car A would be 86km/hr (t) and delta x of car B would be 106 km/hr (t). To find where they have the same displacement, I am guessing I set it up as 86km/hr (t) = 106km/h (t) + 30km
    Solve for t, t = 30 km / (86km/hr - 106 km/hr).

Seem to be the right track?

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. Spot on. Once you have the time, you then only need to work out how far car A has travelled in time t.

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

Not quite: car A is the one with the 30km head start. Your "equation" has the advantage with Car B

7. Aug 24, 2011 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good catch! I didn't spot the sign error.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook