Finding Velocity of Car Slowing Down: v_0-c*(t-t_1)^2/2

  • Thread starter Thread starter fmiren
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
fmiren
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
Homework Statement
I don't understand the limits of the definite integral in the acceleration problem below.
Relevant Equations
Acceleration and velocity equations
At time t=0 , a car moving along the + x -axis passes through x=0 with a constant velocity of magnitude v0 . At some time later, t1 , it starts to slow down. The acceleration of the car as a function of time is given by:

a(t)= 0 0≤t≤t1
-c(t−t1) t1<t2

where c is a positive constants in SI units, and t1<t≤t2 is the given time interval for which the car is slowing down. Express your answer in terms of v_0 for v0 , t_1 for t1 , t_2 for t2 , and c as needed. What is v(t) , the velocity of the car as a function of time during the time interval t1<t≤t2?

To get the velocity I integrate the accelaeration function and get v_0-c*(t_2-t_1)^2/2 since I think these should be the boundaries of the definite integral. Bu the correct answer is v_0-c*(t-t_1)^2/2 and they integrate from t (upper limit) to t1 (lower limit).
Could you please help me to understand it?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer would mean that the velocity is a constant. Your expression does not satisfy
$$a = {dv\over dt} = c(t-t_1) $$since it is independent of ##t##.
I.e. your ##a =0## !
Do you agree ?
 
Last edited:
Yes, I see this now, what confuses me is how to choose the limits of definite integral in such kind of problems.
 
The velocity at some moment ##t## is the integral fom some start up to that same ##t## -- so ##t## is the upper limit of the integration$$v(t)- v(t_1) = \int_{t_1}^t a(\tau)\; d\tau $$
(the integrand is just a 'dummy variable' ; I used ##\tau## to designate it).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jbriggs444 and fmiren