1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the electric force on each sphere

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    Dear experts,

Please guide me along with this problem.

Two identical small conducting spheres are separated by 0.60 m. The spheres carry
    different amounts of charge and each sphere experiences an attractive electric force of
    10.8 N. The total charge on the two spheres is −24 μC. The two spheres are connected
    by a slender conducting wire, which is then removed. The electric force on each sphere is
    closest to:

I attempted on it by finding the charges on each sphere to be (-60uC & +36uC) and initially i thought the answer was 0N since the conducting wire will conduct away all the negative charges from one sphere to the positively charged sphere, thus the negatively charged sphere becomes neutral eventually.

However, as I thought longer, it doesnt seem so. Can someone pls explain to me what exactly happans and enlighten me on the exact interaction between the charges from moment to moment before arriving to the final answer?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    The answer is really simple, after connecting, since their identical the charge will distribute on both spheres the same, thus each sphere will bear -12 uC.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?