1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a 3 dimensional surface

1. Jan 23, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation of the surface generated by rotating the line x = 9y about the x-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to go about this one... I know that x=9y is a line in the xy plane that crosses through the origin, so rotating it about the x-axis will create a double cone, but I don't know how to find its equation.

And hints would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

We cant solve the problem but we can give hints

what is the equation for the surface area of a cone? what values do you need to compute the surface area from this formula?

draw a picture of x = 9y rotated about the x-axis and identify those values and it should become obvious.

4. Jan 23, 2012 #3

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Oops. Wrong forum, this should be in Calculus I guess. I am in Cal 3, I put it here because there is really no calculus involved in this question, it is just three dimensional geometry.

Anyway, I already know the answer, it's

[itex] x^2 = 81y^2 + 81z^2[/itex]

I'm just not sure how to arrive at that. I tried to study this on my own last semester, but I still have a difficult time with these 3d objects.

Anyhow, the equation for a surface area of a cone would be geometrically the same as the surface area of a circle, just with a little piece of the pie missing. I'm not trying to find the area of the object, I'm trying to find the equation that represents the object.

I drew a little 3D picture, and from looking at it, I know that if I were to take cross-sections with yz planes they would look like bigger circles the further away from x=0 I got.

Cross sections with xy planes would look like hyperbolas except at z=0, where it would just be the line x=9y.

Cross sections with xz planes would look almost, if not identical to the xy planes.

I also know the general form for any surface in R3 I think:

[itex] Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0 [/itex]

That's if my memory is correct.

5. Jan 23, 2012 #4
    Upon inspection, that "general equation" for a surface in ℝ3 can't be right: it's not even a surface! It's a conic section, a very specific kind of curve, in ℝ2. If you added another variable, say z, to that equation, you'd get the general form of a 2-dimensional quadric (the higher-dimensional analogue of a conic). This still leaves out many possible surfaces, e.g. z=x3+y3.

As for the original problem, here's my hint: use the Pythagorean theorem.

6. Jan 23, 2012 #5

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Oh, sure enough. Obviously I've got some serious issues regarding 3D objects, haha...
    Back to the text, I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It should be clear from the start that rotating a line around an axis gives a cone.

I would set up parametric equations with r= y and [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle rotated around the x axis. The equation x= 9y becomes [itex]x= 9r[/itex] while y and z being in the plane of rotation, [itex]y= rcos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]z= rsin(\theta)[/itex]. We can go back to Cartesian coordinates by noting that
    [tex]y^2+ z^2= r^2= x^2/81[/tex]

8. Jan 24, 2012 #7

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Interesting, I will take a look at it from that angle, thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook