1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph r = 6 cos() issues with plotting on xy-plane

1. May 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello!
    Last week I have came here for the help related to this problem. I am creating a new thread to describe the issue more precisely. I will be grateful for your help and explanation.

I post the explanation for the book first accompanied by attached pictures, and below I post my questions.

2. Relevant equations
    Example on how to graph the polar equation
    r = 6 cos(θ)

Quote part 1:
    We graph one cycle of r = 6 cos(θ) on the θr-plane and use it to help graph the equation on the xy-plane. We see that as θ ranges from 0 to π/2 , r ranges from 6 to 0. In the xy-plane, this means that the curve starts 6 units from the origin on the positive x-axis (θ = 0) and gradually returns to the origin by the time the curve reaches the y-axis (θ = π/2 ). The arrows drawn in the figure below are meant to help you visualize this process. In the θr-plane, the arrows are drawn from the θ-axis to the curve r = 6 cos(). In the xy-plane, each of these arrows starts at the origin and is rotated through the corresponding angle , in accordance with how we plot polar coordinates.
    End of the quote part 1.

Picture attached.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Quote part 2:
    Next, we repeat the process as θ ranges from π/2 to π. Here, the r values are all negative. This means that in the xy-plane, instead of graphing in Quadrant II, we graph in Quadrant IV, with all of the angle rotations starting from the negative x-axis.
    End of the quote part 2.

So, if θ = 3π/4, then r = -3√2
    θ = π , then r = -6

In the first part we started at the angle θ = 0 and thus r = 6, which we plotted as x = 6; then rotating counter-clockwise as all values of r become smaller as θ approaches π/2. This is clear to me.

And now I am confused by the second part. It is said that r values are negative, so I don't understand why we plot these values along the positive x-axis and rotate clockwise. How did they come up with this rotation, what is the reason that I fail to understand? The phrase on the picture saying "r < 0 so we plot here" gives a sense that this is obvious, but not to me. Please, help me to understand it.

It seems they are plotting absolute values of r along x-axis, so all x values are positive. But how's this justified mathematically?

Here is also the next, even more confusing, quote:
    As θ ranges from π to 3π/2, the r values are still negative, which means the graph is traced out in Quadrant I instead of Quadrant III.
    End of quote.

Interesting. The second part stated that as values of r are negative, we have to plot in QIV; and the third quote says that as values are still negative, we obviously have to plot in QI. I am utterly confused. :) Please, help.
    Thank you very much!

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 14.13.29.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 14.29.48.png

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't say that. It looks like they are plotting points on the line through the origin at angle θ, where positive r is in direction θ and negative r is in the opposite direction. The arrow lines show the direction that the point is in from the origin.

4. May 14, 2017 #3
    But:
    (1) when the interval is [0, π/2] and r = 6, they start at y = x = 6 and go all the way "up" (counter-clockwise) till angle reaches π/2; it's clear;
    (2) when the interval is [π/2 , π] and the value of r = -6 at angle π, they most likely start at the angle -π/2, move counter-clockwise "up" till 2π, and surprisingly end at y = x = 6, not x = -6;
    (3) and then, when even more puzzling thing happens - even though values are still negative and interval is [π, 3π/2], they get back to the interval [0, π/2] in QI;
    (4) and for the last interval of [3π/2, 2π], they get back to QIV.
    I genuinely don't get it. It seems there is something very easy-peasy in all this, some very basic notion that I miss.

5. May 14, 2017 #4

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is not what it says in part 2. They say they are measuring the angle (still counter-clockwise, I assume) starting on the negative x-axis. That puts them in quadrant IV. I prefer to think of it as measuring the angle as always (so still in quadrant II) and negative r points in the opposite direction through the origin, putting you in quadrant IV.
    Same as in (2). Since r is negative, they are measuring their angle counter-clockwise starting on the negative x axis. That pits them in quadrant I. As before, I prefer to think of it as measuring the angle as always (so still in quadrant III) and negative r points in the opposite direction through the origin, putting you in quadrant I.
    Their approach for positive r measures the angle normally (counter-clockwise starting from the positive x axis), which puts them in quadrant IV.

6. May 14, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From another perspective, it's possible to convert the equation ##r = 6\cos(\theta)## to Cartesian form.
    First step: Multiply both sides by r, to get ##r^2 = 6r\cos(\theta)##.
    Doing this adds a solution r = 0, but in the original equation, when ##\theta = \pi/2##, r = 0, so we're not adding a solution that wasn't already there.

Now convert ##r^2 = 6r\cos(\theta)## to Cartesian (or rectangular) form, resulting in ##x^2 + y^2 = 6x##. By completing the square in the x terms, it's fairly easy to show that the equation represents a circle.

7. May 14, 2017 #6
    Sorry, but you took a wrong direction. I am happy because now I have an explanation. In fact it's much easier: when r is negative, we sort of flip all values 180 degrees.

8. May 14, 2017 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How so?

In post 1, you have the following in your Relevant Equations section:

My explanation gave an alternate way to get the graph directly.

That's not what FactChecker was saying in post 4.

9. May 14, 2017 #8

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good. But you should understand their approach because they might use it again later (maybe for other things).

10. May 14, 2017 #9
    Of course. :-) It is a normal approach for such polar equations: whenever r<0, we first go r values on the usual θ ray, and then add π, namely go 180 on the opposite direction. That is why when r < 0 and θ is, say, in QII, that means we plot that part in QIV; if θ is in QIII and r < 0, we plot in QI. This is what I missed, and hence didn't understand all those steps, described in quotes in the original message. And, actually, this is exactly what you have said in your post above. :-)

11. May 14, 2017 #10

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh! Of course! They are just adding the 180 at the beginning rather than at the end. I didn't see that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted