Finding the equation of a curve given the tangent equation

In summary, the question asks to find the value of c>0 where the line y=x+1 is tangent to the curve c√x. This involves setting the discriminant of the quadratic equation to zero, which means the line and the curve intersect at one point and have the same slope at that point.
musad
I have a calculus question and I am not sure where to get started. The question states:"Find the value of c>0 such that the line y=x+1 is the tangent line to the curve c√x (i.e. intersects the curve at one point and shares the same slope at that point)."
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
musad said:
I have a calculus question and I am not sure where to get started. The question states:"Find the value of c>0 such that the line y=x+1 is the tangent line to the curve c√x (i.e. intersects the curve at one point and shares the same slope at that point)."
Thanks

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} x + 1 &= c\,\sqrt{x} \\ \left( x +1 \right) ^2 &= \left( c\,\sqrt{x} \right) ^2 \\ x^2 + 2x +1 &= c^2\,x \\ x^2 + \left( 2 - c^2 \right) \, x + 1 &= 0 \end{align*}$

Now to have only one solution, the discriminant must be zero...

What is the discriminant?

musad said:
What is the discriminant?

You're doing calculus without knowledge of basic quadratics?

Prove It said:
You're doing calculus without knowledge of basic quadratics?

I do, I just think we may use different terminology so i wasnt sure what the term meant, sorry.

musad said:
I do, I just think we may use different terminology so i wasnt sure what the term meant, sorry.

For a quadratic of the form $\displaystyle \begin{align*} a\,x^2 + b\,x + c = 0 \end{align*}$, the roots are $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4\,a\,c}}{2a} \end{align*}$. The stuff under the square root is important, because it determines whether or not there are solutions (as you can't have the square root of a negative number). It's so important, it has its own name, the DISCRIMINANT.

1. What is the process for finding the equation of a curve given the tangent equation?

The process involves finding the derivative of the tangent equation to get the slope of the curve at any given point. This slope can then be used to find the equation of the curve using the point-slope form or integrating the derivative to get the original equation.

2. Can the equation of a curve be found if only the tangent equation is given?

Yes, the derivative of the tangent equation provides the necessary information to find the equation of the curve.

3. What is the significance of the tangent equation in finding the equation of a curve?

The tangent equation represents the slope of the curve at any given point, which is a crucial piece of information needed to find the equation of the curve.

4. Is there a specific method for finding the equation of a curve given the tangent equation?

There are multiple methods, including using the point-slope form or integrating the derivative of the tangent equation. The method used may depend on the complexity of the given tangent equation.

5. Can the equation of a curve be found if multiple tangent equations are given?

Yes, if multiple tangent equations are given, the process involves finding the derivatives of each equation and then using the information to find the equation of the curve.