1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a straight line in 3 dimensions.

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the shortest path between two points in three dimensions is a straight line. Write the path in the parametric form:

x=x(u) y=y(u) z=z(u)

and then use the 3 Euler-Lagrange equations corresponding to ∂f/∂x=(d/du)∂f/∂y'.

2. Relevant equations
    Stated them above:]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found all of the answers in relation to the Euler-Lagrange equations, but I am not sure where to go from there. For each coordinate, ∂f/∂x,∂f/∂y,∂f/∂z, they all equal 0 so that means that d/du(∂f/∂x,y,z) are all also zero. As a result, I get constants for each and hence don't know how to implement these constants into a straight line equation.

The constants are :
    ∂L/∂x'=x'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_1
    ∂L/∂y'=y'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_2
    ∂L/∂z'=z'(u)/(x'(u)^2 +y'(u)^2 +z'(u)^2)^(1/2)=C_3
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    What's the equation for a straight line? Can you find for example dx/dy from these equations?

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply, clamtrox. I get what the equation of a straight line is: y=mx+b, but I'm not sure what you mean for finding dx/dy from those equations. There is also a dz.

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    Yes, but perhaps a more useful way to write that equation is [itex]y = \frac{dy}{dx}x + y(0)[/itex].

6. May 14, 2012 #5
    Yes sorry, that was bad notation. I of course mean partial derivatives: ∂x/∂y = x'(u)/y'(u)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook