1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equations of a graph

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    I am trying to do a College Algebra project and I am having difficulty findimg the two equations that make the piecewise function in the pictures below.

Letting y be the number of meters the track is above or below the ground
    and x the number of meters horizontally from the high point, write the
    equation/s expressing y in terms of x for the roller coaster track. The
    parabola changes from turning down to turning up at x = 15.

ef47a3b5a9ab85de09af4efe115857fe5g.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you given that it is a "parabola"? If so your graph can't possibly be right. A parabola is always concave upward or always concave downward.

If, instead, this might be cubic, which is what your graph looks like, then y= [itex]ax^3+ bx^2+ cx+ d[/itex] and putting in four values for x and y gives you four linear equations to solve for a, b, c, d.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    It is TWO different parabolas thus a piecewise function, One parabola opening downward and one opening upward. The downward opening parabola ends at (15,12.25) and the upward opening parabola starts at (15,12.25)

5. Mar 9, 2009 #4
    I believe that the problem is that the graph is badly drawn, If I could find the vertex of the two parabolas I could easily find the leading coefficient and have my equation in a matter of seconds, but the axis arent labeled properly nor is the line very well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook