Can I Use Vector Notation for Graph Translations?

In summary, when graphing translations, it is acceptable to use vector format by defining a vector that represents the direction and distance of the translation. However, whether or not to use this method should be evaluated based on the situation and personal preference and it is important to consider the potential consequences, such as arguments with a teacher, before implementing it. It is also possible to describe translations using equations to show understanding of the concept.
R_Sarav

Homework Statement

Hi. Its not really a problem but just a general question. When doing graph translations, such as move the parabola x units right or y units up etc, Is it okay to use vector format. So instead of saying move this equation 4 units left, could you write it like this -> <-4,0>

Homework Equations

I know this is used for translations of shapes but my main question is can it also be used for graphs

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my teacher but he just shouted at me for asking him concepts he didnt talk about.

Physics news on Phys.org
R_Sarav said:

Homework Statement

Hi. Its not really a problem but just a general question. When doing graph translations, such as move the parabola x units right or y units up etc, Is it okay to use vector format. So instead of saying move this equation 4 units left, could you write it like this -> <-4,0>

Homework Equations

I know this is used for translations of shapes but my main question is can it also be used for graphs

The Attempt at a Solution

I asked my teacher but he just shouted at me for asking him concepts he didnt talk about.
A graph ##\mathcal{G}## of usually a function ##x \mapsto f(x)## is a set of points: ##\mathcal{G}=\{\,(x,f(x)\,|\,x \in \operatorname{domain}(f)\,\}##. This is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## and to move it means to move it within this plane ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Thus you need a direction in which it is moved and a distance by which it is moved. But this exactly defines a vector ##v=(v_x,v_y)##. So the moved object will be ##v+\mathcal{G}=\{\,(x+v_x,f(x)+v_y)\,|\,x \in \operatorname{domain}(f)\,\}##. So in a sense this is even better than just to say move by ##"v_0"## in direction ##"x"## or ##"y"## since you allow more than two directions.

However, whether you should argue with your teacher is a complete different question. It's not always important to be right. Sometimes it's smarter not to be.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
A graph ##\mathcal{G}## of usually a function ##x \mapsto f(x)## is a set of points: ##\mathcal{G}=\{\,(x,f(x)\,|\,x \in \operatorname{domain}(f)\,\}##. This is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2## and to move it means to move it within this plane ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Thus you need a direction in which it is moved and a distance by which it is moved. But this exactly defines a vector ##v=(v_x,v_y)##. So the moved object will be ##v+\mathcal{G}=\{\,(x+v_x,f(x)+v_y\,|\,x \in \operatorname{domain}(f)\,\}##. So in a sense this is even better than just to say move by ##"v_0"## in direction ##"x"## or ##"y"## since you allow more than two directions.

However, whether you should argue with your teacher is a complete different question. It's not always important to be right. Sometimes it's smarter not to be.
So is it okay to write like this ? If i wrote like this In a paper would it be correct ?

R_Sarav said:
So is it okay to write like this ? If i wrote like this In a paper would it be correct ?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. That's why I wrote the formulas, which are correct. 4 to the left would be ##v_x=-4## and ##v_y=0##. It would be correct, if it would be o.k. depends on a lot of human factors. I wouldn't argue just to be right. 4 to the left is usually as good.

R_Sarav said:

It is correct, but I suspect that if you wrote it like fresh_42 did your teacher would really yell at you.

If I were your teacher, what I would prefer to see are either of the following (assuming you are graphing a parabola of the form ##y = a + b x^2##). If you want to move the whole graph ##A## units to the right (to the left if ##A < 0##) and ##B## units up (down if ##B < 0##), you could either say that (i) the vertex moves from ##(a,0)## to ##(a+A, 0+B)## but the shape remains unchanged; or (ii) explain that the new graph has equation ##y-B = a + b(x-A)^2 \Rightarrow y = a+B+b(x-A)^2.## Since you are plotting graphs in two-dimensional cartesian coordinate systems, I don't think you could be yelled at for doing it using method (i). However, my personal preference would be that you show your understanding by using method (ii).

What is vector notation?

Vector notation is a mathematical notation system used to represent vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It typically involves using symbols, such as arrows or bold letters, to represent the vector.

How do I read and write vector notation?

To read vector notation, you start with the symbol for the vector, such as an arrow, followed by the letter representing the vector, and then the magnitude of the vector. For example, v = 3 m/s would be read as "vector v equals 3 meters per second." To write vector notation, you use the same format, but with the appropriate values for the vector's magnitude and direction.

What are the basic operations in vector notation?

The basic operations in vector notation are addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. Addition and subtraction involve combining or subtracting the magnitudes of two vectors, while scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a single numerical value).

How is vector notation used in physics?

Vector notation is used extensively in physics to represent physical quantities, such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and force. It allows scientists to easily calculate and analyze the magnitude and direction of these quantities, which is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems.

What are some common mistakes when using vector notation?

Some common mistakes when using vector notation include forgetting to include the magnitude of the vector, using the wrong symbol to represent the vector, and not paying attention to the direction of the vector. It's also important to pay attention to the units when performing calculations with vector notation.