Finding the focal length of a negative lens without another lens.

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple method for determining the focal length of a negative lens and how to prove its accuracy. The relevant formulas for linear magnification and lens equations are mentioned, but it is suggested that the problem can be solved using pure geometry. The location of the focal point is also discussed.
kPepis

Homework Statement

A simple method for determining the focal length of a negative lens is shown below. Prove this is true.
Negativelensfocallenght.png

Homework Equations

linmag.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

The linear magnification formula relates magnification, the distance from the lens to the image (i), the distance from the lens to the object (o) and the height of the two images (h'/h). The lens equation relates distance to the object and distance to the image and the focal length. I know I have to use these two equations but I have not been able to prove this is true. This is kind of frustating considering it's a simple problem, but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you have to use the formulas above. What you have on the screen is not the image of any object.
What kind of image will be produced by a divergent lens? Can you catch on a screen? Where will be the image of the sun produced by the lens?

But the problem it is much simpler. Is pure geometry. If you extend the divergent rays (the ones on the left hand side of the lens) to the right hand side of the lens, they will meet in a point. What is the location of this point? How far from the lens?

1. What is the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens is the distance between the lens and its focal point when an object is in focus.

2. Why is it important to find the focal length of a negative lens?

Finding the focal length of a negative lens is important because it allows us to understand the properties of the lens and how it will affect the image formation. It also helps in determining the appropriate distance between the lens and the object for a clear and sharp image.

3. Can the focal length of a negative lens be calculated without another lens?

Yes, the focal length of a negative lens can be calculated without another lens. This can be done by using the lens equation, which relates the focal length to the distance between the lens and the object, and the distance between the lens and the image.

4. What is the lens equation?

The lens equation is a mathematical formula that relates the focal length of a lens to the distance between the lens and the object (u) and the distance between the lens and the image (v). It is written as 1/f = 1/u + 1/v, where f is the focal length of the lens.

5. How can I find the focal length of a negative lens without another lens?

To find the focal length of a negative lens without another lens, you will need to measure the distance between the lens and the object (u) and the distance between the lens and the image (v). Then, plug these values into the lens equation (1/f = 1/u + 1/v) and solve for f. This will give you the focal length of the negative lens.