Finding the gradient of a chord on the parabola y² = 2x

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Yoss
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Yoss
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone,

I'm taking a high level Geometry course, and as it turns out, I'm a tad out of touch on at least one basic aspect learned years passed.

Parabola with equation [tex]y^2 = 2x[/tex], and parametric equation [tex]x = \frac{1}{2}t^2, y = t (t \in \Re)[/tex] etc.

The problem is concered with finding the equation of the chord that joins the distinct points P and Q on the parabola w/ parameters [tex]t_1[/tex] and [tex]t_2[/tex] respectively, etc.

No that much of that was relevant to my quandray, which is in finding the gradient of PQ.
[tex]m = \frac{t_1 - t_2}{{\frac{1}{2}(t_1^2 - t_2^2)} = \frac{2}{t_1 + t_2} [\tex]<br /> edit: sorry, I guess I didn't get that tex tag right (what is wrong with it? Can I nest fractions like that?)<br /> <br /> m = (t1 - t2)/[.5(t1^2 - t2^2)] = 2/(t1 + t2).I can't remember (if I had learned it that is) how they arrived from the first to the latter fraction. <br /> <br /> An explanation would be quite welcome, thanks.[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you asking why:

[tex]\frac{t_1-t_2}{\frac{1}{2} ({t_1}^2-{t_2}^2)}=\frac{2}{t_1+t_2}[/tex]

? If so, remember that [itex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. And you can click on the equation above to see how I got it working. I think you have an extra {.
 
StatusX said:
Are you asking why:

[tex]\frac{t_1-t_2}{\frac{1}{2} ({t_1}^2-{t_2}^2)}=\frac{2}{t_1+t_2}[/tex]

? If so, remember that [itex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. And you can click on the equation above to see how I got it working. I think you have an extra {.


Thanks, I guess I wasn't looking at it the right way.

Did you need the {'s around each t in the denominator?
 
Yoss said:
Did you need the {'s around each t in the denominator?

No, but it makes it look nicer. {...}^2 puts the two above and to the right of the whole expression. If you just wrote t_1^2, you get some looks like a tensor element:

[tex]{t_1}^2[/tex] vs [tex]t_1^2[/tex]
 
Yoss, your last equation... you used a backslash to close the tex tag is all you got wrong.