Finding the Gradient of an Integral?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the gradient and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to work out partial derivatives and evaluate an integral involving cos(t2). The conversation also touches on using anti-derivatives and the derivative of cos(t2).
theBEAST

Homework Statement

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/64325990/Capture.PNG

I'm not even sure where to start :O

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about

[tex]f(0+\Delta x,0+\Delta y)\approx f(0,0)+\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(0,0)\Delta x+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(0,0)\Delta y[/tex]

This uses the gradient in the sense of

[tex]df\approx \nabla f\cdot(dx,dy)[/tex]

Though I'm sorting of putting together whatever notation comes to mind, so let us know if you have notes close to this but aren't sure how they relate, or any other questions.

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

Start with the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to work out [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex].

For the latter, you might find it more helpful to switch the bounds and put a negative sign on the integral.

theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

You have received two very good tips.

I'll make my response more concrete.

cos(t2) is integrable, but not in closed form with elementary functions.

Let G(t) be an anti-derivative of cos(t2).

Then of course, cos(t2) is the derivative of G(t).

Using this to evaluate your integral gives:

[itex]\displaystyle \int_{x}^{y}{\cos(t^2)}\,dt=G(y)-G(x)\ .[/itex]

Now take the gradient of that.

Can you take it from here?

1. What is the gradient of an integral?

The gradient of an integral is a vector quantity that represents the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variables. It is typically denoted by the symbol ∇ and is also known as the "nabla" or "del" operator.

2. How is the gradient of an integral calculated?

The gradient of an integral can be calculated using the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand. This means that to find the gradient, you simply take the derivative of the integral with respect to its variables.

3. What does the gradient of an integral represent?

The gradient of an integral represents the rate of change of the integral with respect to its variables. It can also be interpreted as the direction in which the integral is changing the fastest.

4. How is the gradient of an integral used in science?

The gradient of an integral is used in various scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model and analyze systems where rates of change are important. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.

5. Can the gradient of an integral be negative?

Yes, the gradient of an integral can be negative. This indicates that the integral is decreasing in value with respect to its variables. However, the gradient is a vector quantity, so it also has a direction. A negative gradient simply means that the integral is decreasing in the opposite direction of the gradient vector.