No idea how to word this. Finding the gradient with vector?

In summary: This will help others understand the context and provide a more accurate and helpful response to your question.
Flucky

Homework Statement

I need to find Λ using the equation below (I think).

Homework Equations

A [/B]+ Λ = 0

where A(x,y,z,t) = B[itex]\begin{pmatrix} x+y\\ x-y\\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this at all possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flucky said:

Homework Statement

I need to find Λ using the equation below (I think).

Homework Equations

A [/B]+ Λ = 0

where A(x,y,z,t) = B[itex]\begin{pmatrix} x+y\\ x-y\\ 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this at all possible?

I'm not sure about your notation, is [itex]A[/itex] a matrix, or a vector? Do the three components [itex]x+y, x-y, 0[/itex] correspond to vector components, or matrix components?

stevendaryl said:
I'm not sure about your notation, is [itex]A[/itex] a matrix, or a vector? Do the three components [itex]x+y, x-y, 0[/itex] correspond to vector components, or matrix components?

Sorry it is a vector. I was trying to mimic exactly how it is written in front of me.

stevendaryl said:

Assuming that you mean that [itex]A[/itex] is a vector, then your problem is to find a function [itex]\Lambda(x,y,z)[/itex] such that

[itex]\nabla \Lambda = -A = -B(x+y, x-y, 0)[/itex]

That means that there are three equations for [itex]\Lambda[/itex]:
  1. [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \Lambda = -B (x + y)[/itex]
  2. [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} \Lambda = -B (x - y)[/itex]
  3. [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z} \Lambda = 0[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
Assuming that you mean that [itex]A[/itex] is a vector, then your problem is to find a function [itex]\Lambda(x,y,z)[/itex] such that

To solve the equation [itex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \Lambda = -B (x + y)[/itex], consider how you would solve the ordinary differential equation

[itex] \frac{d}{d x} \Lambda = -B x + c[/itex]

where [itex]c[/itex] is a constant? What's the most general solution?

stevendaryl said:

Hmm I think I may have to post the question in full. My original post is just a small part of a bigger question (about Gauge transformations) so I am probably going about it wrong.

Flucky said:
Hmm I think I may have to post the question in full. My original post is just a small part of a bigger question (about Gauge transformations) so I am probably going about it wrong.
You should always include the full problem as well as your attempts to solve it.

1. What is a gradient with vector?

A gradient with vector is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of change in a vector field. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a function at a specific point.

2. How do you find the gradient with vector?

To find the gradient with vector, you first need to calculate the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. These partial derivatives are then combined to form a vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of the gradient at a specific point.

3. What is the significance of the gradient with vector in science?

The gradient with vector is important in science because it provides information about the rate of change of a function at a specific point. This information is crucial in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. How is the gradient with vector used in real-world applications?

The gradient with vector is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, fluid dynamics, and optimization problems. It helps scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the gradient with vector?

While the gradient with vector is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately represent the behavior of a function in highly nonlinear or discontinuous regions. Additionally, it relies on the assumption that the function is differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.