Finding the harmonics of a flute

• Thread starter Greywolfe1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, a flute is a pipe open at both ends with a length of approximately 66.3 cm and a speed of sound of 342 m/s. To find the first harmonic of a flute, the equation f=v/2L can be used. However, the answer must then be converted from radians/second to oscillations/second to get the correct answer in Hz. The harmonics of a flute are multiples of the fundamental frequency, with the first being 130 Hz, the second being 260 Hz, the third being 390 Hz, and the fourth being 520 Hz.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

A flute is essentially a pipe open at both ends.
The length of a flute is approximately 66.3 cm.
The speed of sound in the flute is 342 m/s.
What is the first harmonic of a flute when
all keys are closed, making the vibrating air
column approximately equal to the length of
the flute? Answer in units of Hz.

What is the second harmonic? Answer in
units of Hz.

What is the third harmonic? Answer in units
of Hz.

Homework Equations

I found the equation for fundamental frequency in an open-ended tube online: f=v/2L.

The Attempt at a Solution

f=v/2L
f=342/2x.633
f=270.142

However, my assignment says this is wrong. I searched some more and found that harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency (f, 2f, 3f, etc.). I'm sure this is relevant, I'm just not sure how - finding 2f gave me an incorrect answer as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the units of your equation:
On the right side you have v/(2*L) [=] (L/T)/(L) [=] T
so the answer comes out in "per second". What does this mean? It means that the frequency you have calculated is in radians/sec, not in Hz. You need to then adjust the value to put it into Hz.

Does anybody teach unit checking these days? I sure see a lot of unit errors!

How do you convert something from radians/second to oscillations/second? I understand how the units cancel, but I'm still unsure of what to do to get the correct answer.

2 PI radians = 1 oscillation.

So if you have an answer in Radians / second (R/sec), convert to Oscillations / second (Osc/sec) by multiplying:

(R/sec) . (Osc / Radian) = Osc / sec.

In this case, you'll get your answer times (1 Osc / 2 PI Radians) -- or: Your answer divided by 2 PI. Do you get the right answer now?

Nope, not the right answer =\

270.142/6.283185307=42.9944. Tried that and it wasn't correct. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Did I mess up multiplication somewhere?

Greywolfe1982 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

f=v/2L
f=342/2x.633
f=270.142

However, my assignment says this is wrong. I searched some more and found that harmonics are multiples of the fundamental frequency (f, 2f, 3f, etc.). I'm sure this is relevant, I'm just not sure how - finding 2f gave me an incorrect answer as well.

Try recalculating with the .663 that is given in the problem.

...I hate myself -.- I tend to go through my problems and look over them, rather than rewrite them. Unfortunately this can make me miss stupid mistakes like that.

Thanks a lot for the help.

flutes are closed ended columns so the tube is equal to 1/4 of the wavelength so it would be

4X66.3 in metres so 4X0.663 = 2.652 that is the wavelength

to find the frequency it is speed/wavelength which is 129.7hz so assuming variants in atmospheric pressure will occur this frequency can be reguarded as C which is 130hz with a wavelength of 264cm
so to check 264/4=66.3 the length of the tube.

so the harmonics are 1st 130hz
2nd 260hz
3rd 390hz
4th 520hz

i think that's right I am pretty sure that's how it goes

1. What are harmonics in relation to a flute?

Harmonics on a flute refer to the overtones or additional frequencies produced when playing a note. These harmonics are created by the vibrating air column within the flute and can add depth and richness to the sound.

2. How do you find the harmonics of a flute?

The harmonics of a flute can be found by playing a note and manipulating the air flow and fingerings. By changing the speed and strength of the air flow, different harmonics can be produced. Additionally, using different fingerings can also create different harmonics.

3. What do the harmonics of a flute sound like?

The harmonics of a flute can sound like different pitches or notes above the original note being played. They are often described as airy or ethereal and can add a subtle complexity to the sound of the flute.

4. Do all flutes have the same harmonics?

No, the harmonics produced by a flute can vary depending on the type of flute, the material it is made from, and the skill of the player. Different flutes may have different harmonics or may produce them in different ways.

5. Can you control the harmonics on a flute?

Yes, skilled flute players are able to control the harmonics of a flute by adjusting their air flow and fingerings. They can also use techniques such as flutter tonguing or overblowing to produce specific harmonics and create more complex sounds.