1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the inverse of a nasty 1-to-1 function.

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    Hey, everybody.

I have a function:
    [tex]
    \int\limits_{x}^{x+c} exp(-t^2) dt = y
    [/tex]

c is a known constant here.

I am beating my head against the wall trying to find a good way to numerically evaluate the inverse here, i.e. I have y and c and I want to know x. I know that erf^-1 is readily available in mathematica and maple and the like but the limits of integration here make this a bit nastier. Any ideas? I don't need a perfect evaluation, just a moderately good approximation will work.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you're interested only in values of x smaller than 1, then you can always Taylor expand exp(-t²) and integrate term by term and keep only the first 2 terms. I get y=c-xc+c²/2.

4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    i think the rigorous method would be to use a fourier inversion expansion; can't remember the details of how to do that - but with a smooth gaussian function i think its not that bad.

5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    I wish I could say with certainty that this was the case, because you're right, that would be a good idea. Unfortunetly, I think I'll need something that covers a bit more values.

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    Do you have any recommendations on sources where I might read up on this?

7. Apr 22, 2008 #6
    This function does not have a proper inverse as y(x)=y(-x-c)

I believe that the inverse may exist if you restrict x to be greater than zero.

8. Apr 22, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I think we can view this problem as a differential equation, and use some method of numerically solving ODE's such as the midpoint method or Runge-Kutta? Not 100% sure how it'll work out though.

9. Apr 22, 2008 #8
    If you only want to evaluate it numerically, then why don't you just use Newton-Rhapson to determine when y(x) = K ?

10. Apr 22, 2008 #9

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That involves evaluating the integral, which can't be done analytically though I do know there are many tables of data for that particular function (The error function). So Yes, I guess that method can do it numerically, good idea =]

11. Apr 22, 2008 #10
    This is a fantastic idea. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?