Need help with finding the inverse of a function

In summary, the question asked for the inverse of a function and how to find it, but when x was set to 11, the function was already found to be y=f(11).
Umar
Hello, I'm having trouble going about dealing with this question. It asked to find the inverse of the function and evaluate it at a certain number:

View attachment 5963

Also for part b, do we just plug in x=11 and then take the inverse of that output value or what?

I tried using some inverse properties:

f^-1(x) = 9, then, f(x) = 9.

So I set the function equal to 9 and tried to solve for x, but it didn't really work out to well.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 6.07.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-09 at 6.07.27 PM.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 59
Physics news on Phys.org
Umar said:
Hello, I'm having trouble going about dealing with this question. It asked to find the inverse of the function and evaluate it at a certain number:
Also for part b, do we just plug in x=11 and then take the inverse of that output value or what?

I tried using some inverse properties:

f^-1(x) = 9, then, f(x) = 9.

So I set the function equal to 9 and tried to solve for x, but it didn't really work out to well.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Umar! Welcome to MHB! ;)

Let's start with part a.
Indeed, we should solve $f(x)=9$.
And I'm afraid there's no easy solution for that, since we have $x$ and $\ln(x-3)$ next to each other in the same expression.
We can only solve it numerically, or by inspection.
The only $\ln$ we can really figure out, is $\ln 1 =0$, or more generally, $\ln e^n=n$.
Anyway, that makes the only $x$ that makes "sense" to "inspect", $x=4$, so that we have $\ln(x-3)=\ln(4-3)=\ln(1)=0$.
Does that bring us anything?

As for part b, don't we have that $f^{-1}\circ f=\operatorname{id}$? (Wondering)

Hello there,

I understand what you meant for part a, as making x = 4 gets rid of the ln, and then you're left with 9 = 5 + 4, so LS = RS..

But for part b, can you explain what you mean by f^-1 ∘ f =id ?

Umar said:
Hello there,

I understand what you meant for part a, as making x = 4 gets rid of the ln, and then you're left with 9 = 5 + 4, so LS = RS..

But for part b, can you explain what you mean by f^-1 ∘ f =id ?

Good! (Nod)

Suppose we set $y=f(x)$.
Then with $x=11$, we have $y=f(11)$.
Finding $f^{-1}(f(11))$ means finding $f^{-1}(y)$.
That is, finding $x$ such that $f(x)=y$.
But we already know for which $x$ that is the case - we already know that $f(11)=y$!
So $f^{-1}(f(11)) = 11$.

More generally, the inverse of a function (if it exists) applied to the same function is by definition the identity function (abbreviated $\operatorname{id}$).

Thank you so much

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a mathematical operation that "undoes" the original function. It essentially reverses the input and output of the original function, allowing you to find the original input when given the output.

2. Why do we need to find the inverse of a function?

Finding the inverse of a function can be useful in solving certain mathematical equations or problems. It also allows us to better understand the relationship between the input and output of a function.

3. How do I find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the input and output variables and solve for the new output. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and solving for the new variable.

4. Are there any restrictions when finding the inverse of a function?

Yes, there are certain restrictions that must be met in order for a function to have an inverse. For example, the function must be one-to-one, meaning that each input has a unique output. Additionally, the function must pass the horizontal line test, where no horizontal line can intersect the function more than once.

5. Can I use a graph to find the inverse of a function?

Yes, a graph can be a helpful tool in finding the inverse of a function. By reflecting the original function over the line y=x, you can find the inverse function. However, this method may not work for all functions, so it is important to also use algebraic methods to confirm the inverse.