Finding the inverse of h(x) = (3x-5)/(7-2x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
nirvana1990
Messages
46
Reaction score
0
If h(x)=(3x-5)/(7-2x)

Find an expression for h^-1(x)





Here's my attempt!

y=(3x-5)/(7-2x)

(swap x for y): x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)

I've tried rearranging to find y in terms of x but I can't see how to do it!

x(-2y)=(3y-5)/7

-2y=(3y-5)/7

-2y/3y=-5/x
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't swap them in that manner. You try and rearrange so you get x as a function of y. More an issue of semantics I believe.
 
Let's say your function was y = f(x) = 1/(1+x) over x < -1 or -1 < x. Then 1/y = 1+x so x = 1/y - 1. That is x = f-1(y) = 1/y - 1 over y < 0 or 0 < y.
 
Did you try to multiply both sides by the denominator, distribute the y, then group your terms with x, then factor out the x?
 
Oh i think I've got it:

y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)
x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)
7x-2xy=3y-5
-2xy-3y=-5-7x
y(-2x-3)=-5-7x
y=(-5-7x)/(-2x-3)=h^-1(x)
 
nirvana1990 said:
Oh i think I've got it:

y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)
x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)
7x-2xy=3y-5
-2xy-3y=-5-7x
y(-2x-3)=-5-7x
y=(-5-7x)/(-2x-3)=h^-1(x)
This is correct, except I would've switched the variables at the end.
 
Thats interesting, I've never seen the variables being swapped first so that threw me a bit. Is that just to maintain the notation that we usually have y = f(x).
 
Kurdt said:
Thats interesting, I've never seen the variables being swapped first so that threw me a bit. Is that just to maintain the notation that we usually have y = f(x).
no clue, i always thought it was silly myself. But they do.
 
Kurdt said:
Thats interesting, I've never seen the variables being swapped first so that threw me a bit. Is that just to maintain the notation that we usually have y = f(x).

Yes, it is. If the initial function is given as y=f(x) the inverse function should also probably be stated as y=f^(-1)(x) so x is the independent variable in both. That's all. You can swap at the end if you like.