@bael: First off, put in parentheses next time. What you wrote looks like this:
[tex]f(x) = 3x+\frac{5}{x}-4[/tex]
bael said:
Here is what I've done so far:
First I switch the x and the y so I get
x=3y+5/y-4
x(y-4)=3y+5
xy-4x=3y+5
xy=3y+4x+5
xy-3y=4x+5
y-3y=4x+5/x
-2y=4+5
I don't know what else to do. No matter what I try I always end up deleting a variable.
The bolded is where your problem lies. You can't divide both sides by x like that. If you were to divide both sides by x, this would have been the result:
[itex]xy-3y=4x+5[/itex]
[itex]\frac{xy-3y}{x}=\frac{4x+5}{x}[/itex]
[itex]\frac{xy}{x}-\frac{3y}{x}=\frac{4x}{x}+\frac{5}{x}[/itex]
[itex]y-\frac{3y}{x}=4+\frac{5}{x}[/itex]
This is not the way to go.
What theclock54 posted isn't wrong (now that the correction was made), but from this step:
xy-4x = 3y+5
... I would instead add 4x to both sides and subtract 3y from both sides. I prefer to have the x terms
before the constant terms in the numerator & denominator.
xy - 3y = 4x + 5
Then factor out the y, and divide both sides by (x - 3):
[itex]y(x - 3) = 4x + 5[/itex]
[itex]y = \frac{4x + 5}{x - 3}[/itex]