1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Lagrangian for a wheel-pendulum system

1. Dec 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so I need to find the Lagrangian ## L ## for this system below, I have drawn some poor sketch in paint but I think its pretty easy to see what i mean

2qd3c08.jpg

Its a wheel with mass ##m## and radius ##r## that rolls inside a big cylinder with radius ##R## and at the center of the wheel there is a pendulum attached. The pendulum has a lenght ##l## and a mass ##m## (same ##m##) attached at the end of it and the string can be threated as massless. The angles from equilibirum is ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##.

I think that is all that is needed

2. Relevant equations

##L = T- V##

##T = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 ##

## V = mgh ##

3. The attempt at a solution

OK so this is what I have been thinking so far.

First of I did the substitution ##l_1 = R-r ## and ##l_2=l##

We have calculate the kinetic and potential energy for each mass separatly so for the wheel we have

##
    T_1 = \frac{1}{2}ml_1^2 \dot{\theta_1}^2 \\
    V_1 = -mgl_1cos\theta
    ##

and for the pendulum there is a little bit more tricky

##
    T_2 = \frac{1}{2}m[\frac{d}{dt}(l_1sin \theta_1+ l_2 sin \theta_2)]^2+\frac{1}{2}m[\frac{d}{dt}(-l_1cos \theta_1- l_2 cos \theta_2)]^2 \\
    V_2 =-mg(l_1cos\theta_1+l_2cos \theta_2)
    ##

After this I form ## L = T_1 + T_2 - V_1 - V_2 ## and just carry out the algebra. But when I use this later on for Lagrange equations of motion I get some factors wrong in the answe. The dimensions and everything else is right and I have checked so many times now so im starting to think that something might be wrong in the energys above, have I missed something?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can see one thing that seems to be missing, which is the rotational kinetic energy of the wheel, which is ##\frac{1}{2}I\omega^2## where ##I## is the wheel's moment of inertia and ##\omega## is its rotational velocity.
    The problem is incompletely specified because it doesn't tell us the shape of the wheel - eg is it a solid disc or more like a ring? I suggest you assume it is a uniform disk, and state that in your answer.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted