Finding the launch velocity of a point charge in a e-field

In summary: Yep, thanks for explaining :)The key thing to understand here is that the acceleration of the E-field is in the radial direction and it can act as centripetal acceleration for circular motion (with the plane of the circular motion perpendicular to y-axis).
jisbon
Homework Statement
Consider a long line of charge with linear charge density λ=4μC/m
There is a point charge mass 0.1kg, q= −2μC at coordinate (-2,0) at t=0.
A point charge is then launched into the paper.
What is the launch velocity so point charge can reach coordinate (-2,0)?
Relevant Equations
##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r\epsilon_{0}}##
##a= \frac{\epsilon_{0} q}{m}##
I'm not sure how to proceed with this, but here are my findings/hypothesis:

First we find the electric field contributed by the plate with ##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r\epsilon_{0}}## where r=2?

After finding out the electric field, is it safe to assume I can find the acceleration of the point charge using ##a= \frac{\epsilon_{0} q}{m}##? What do I do to the charge of the particle then? Am I calculating the wrong thing? Should I instead be calculating something else?

After finding out the acceleration, I am then supposed to find the initial velocity, which can be explained using kinematics equation am I right?

Please advice. Thank you.

Diagram as follows:

1569114367031.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I fail to understand the statement of the problem even though a figure is provided (and if it wasn't that I wouldn't understand a simple thing, lol)

Is there a point charge at (-2,0) and we want to find with what velocity(I suppose the minimum) we have to launch another point charge from 2,0 so that it reaches the point charge located at -2,0?

OR

The minimum launch velocity of the point charge at -2,0 such that it reaches point 2,0 (assume it can pass through the linear charge density at the y axis)?

OR something else which I don't understand?

I think there is only one point charge. It is given an initial velocity directed perpendicular to the plane of the drawing.

Likes Delta2
Thanks @TSny now it all makes sense.

Likes TSny
The key thing to understand here is that the acceleration of the E-field is in the radial direction and it can act as centripetal acceleration for circular motion (with the plane of the circular motion perpendicular to y-axis).

You are doing fine calculating the E-field at r=2 and the acceleration at r=2.

What must be the magnitude of the initial velocity such that the acceleration acts as centripetal acceleration?

Likes jisbon
jisbon said:
After finding out the electric field, is it safe to assume I can find the acceleration of the point charge using ##a= \frac{\epsilon_{0} q}{m}##?
In this equation for the acceleration, the ##\epsilon_0## should be replaced by what quantity?

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
I think there is only one point charge. It is given an initial velocity directed perpendicular to the plane of the drawing.
Yep, thanks for explaining :)
Delta2 said:
The key thing to understand here is that the acceleration of the E-field is in the radial direction and it can act as centripetal acceleration for circular motion (with the plane of the circular motion perpendicular to y-axis).

You are doing fine calculating the E-field at r=2 and the acceleration at r=2.

What must be the magnitude of the initial velocity such that the acceleration acts as centripetal acceleration?
Pardon me, but when you mean circular I suppose it's something like this?
**SIDE VIEW** (Since the charge is launched into the plane)
1569123460993.png
##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r\epsilon_{0}} = \frac{4*10^{-6}}{2\pi(2)(8.85*10^{-12})} = 35967.2187##
##a= \frac{E q}{m} = \frac{(35967.2187) (-2*10^{-6})}{0.1} = -0.719344374##
##a= \frac{v^2}{r} ##
##v = 1.20m/s##

Woops, I got it haha. Thanks so much :D

TSny said:
In this equation for the acceleration, the ##\epsilon_0## should be replaced by what quantity?
Oh that was a typo, supposed to be E. My bad :/

Likes Delta2
jisbon said:
Pardon me, but when you mean circular I suppose it's something like this?
**SIDE VIEW** (Since the charge is launched into the plane)
View attachment 249994
I think you still do not have the right picture.
Change the rectangle to a dot, representing a line of charge normal to the plane of your drawing, and make the trajectory semicircular.

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is an electric charge that is concentrated at a single point in space, with no dimensions or size. It can be positive or negative, and its strength is measured in Coulombs (C).

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force. It is created by a source charge and can be either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges involved.

3. How is the launch velocity of a point charge determined?

The launch velocity of a point charge can be determined by using the equation v = E/q, where v is the velocity, E is the electric field strength, and q is the charge of the particle. This equation is derived from the electric force equation F = qE, where F is the force on the charge.

4. What factors can affect the launch velocity of a point charge in an electric field?

The launch velocity of a point charge can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. Other factors such as the presence of other charges or external forces may also have an impact.

5. Can the launch velocity of a point charge be calculated using experimental data?

Yes, the launch velocity of a point charge can be calculated using experimental data. By measuring the electric field strength and the charge of the particle, the velocity can be determined using the equation v = E/q. It is important to ensure that the measurements are accurate and precise for an accurate calculation.