1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the limit of a complicated funcion

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find [itex]\stackrel{lim}{_{n\rightarrow\infty}}\frac{1^{1}+2^{2}+...+(n-1)^{n-1}+n^{n}}{n^{n}}[/itex].

2. The attempt at a solution

At first I split up the fraction into a sum of a bunch of terms, and said that all of the terms went to 0 except the last, which is 1. But then I realized that in the limit, there is an infinite number of terms so it makes no sense to say that the "last term" is 1. I think I found a way to prove it by finding a recursive formula for the function inside the limit and then using that to get upper and lower bounds, which both converge to 1. But that was really long and seemed like a very round-about way of doing things. Is there a simpler way to get the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. You do a really ruthless upper bound of the first (n-2) terms of your series. But I find it hard to believe you found a recursive formula for the function that gives you anything useful. Can you show me that?

4. Jan 25, 2012 #3
    Ok, here's my current solution. Like I said, it seems like an overly complicated way of doing it, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is some mistake in there somewhere.

Attached Files:

5. Jan 25, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe that works. It does seem a little complicated. I'd start by saying [itex]1^{1}+2 ^{2}+...+(n-2)^{n-2} \le (n-2) (n-2)^{n-2}[/itex]. Do you see how it would go from there?

6. Jan 25, 2012 #5
    Ok, that makes sense. It makes it a sum of 3 terms, the first two of which go to 0 and the last goes to 1. I think I tried that too, but with the first n-1 terms and that didn't work. I guess it never occurred to me to try it with the first n-2 terms. Thanks for your help.

7. Jan 25, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah. Doing it with the first (n-1) terms gives an upper limit that's too big. So you need to chose a smaller upper limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook