Finding the mass of a block attached to a spring

In summary, the student is trying to solve for a in a linear equation in order to find the mass of an object. However, he is having difficulty because his units do not agree. He is also expected to know the formula for the period of a mass-spring system.
rugerts

Homework Statement

What is the mass of the block?

Given: friction less surface, velocity at each marked point, distance between points 1 and 2, spring constant l = 7 N/m

Homework Equations

F=ma
Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for a in m = F/a in order to find the mass. My units don't seem to agree, which suggests I have done something wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 350
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't read your work image. Too small and fuzzy. Please type it out.

Edit: Also a hint: What's the formula for the period of a spring-mass system?

rugerts said:

Homework Statement

What is the mass of the block?

Given: friction less surface, velocity at each marked point, distance between points 1 and 2, spring constant l = 7 N/m
No, you are not given any distance nor any velocity.
img_0968-jpg.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma
Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for a in m = F/a in order to find the mass. My units don't seem to agree, which suggests I have done something wrong.
Yes, from the little I make out in the image of your solution, you are trying to solve this using the kinematic equations for constant acceleration. That's not the case here at all.

Attachments

• img_0968-jpg.jpg
    img_0968-jpg.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 869
gneill said:
Can't read your work image. Too small and fuzzy. Please type it out.

Edit: Also a hint: What's the formula for the period of a spring-mass system?
Can't be using formulas for periods, haven't technically learned that yet. Must use other methods. Sorry about the image

SammyS said:
No, you are not given any distance nor any velocity.
View attachment 232766

Yes, from the little I make out in the image of your solution, you are trying to solve this using the kinematic equations for constant acceleration. That's not the case here at all.
Any hints on how to find acceleration then? I can only use force methods. No energy, harmonic stuff, or periods

rugerts said:
Any hints on how to find acceleration then? I can only use force methods. No energy, harmonic stuff, or periods
Can you solve differential equations?

Also, unless you post something more readable, you are not likely to get many replies.

SammyS said:
Can you solve differential equations?
Uh no unfortunately

haruspex said:
Then it seems you are expected to know the formula for the period of a mass-spring system.
Try http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/shm2.html
Yes, but this was unfortunately not covered in the section from which this problem was taken. I'm trying to see how to solve without using this.

rugerts said:
Yes, but this was unfortunately not covered in the section from which this problem was taken. I'm trying to see how to solve without using this.
Yikes! I recall that this was one of the "given" formulas that I was presented with in high-school physics (without proof at that time) to use when faced with these sorts of problems.

Can you list the equations related to this type of problem that you've been given?

gneill said:
Yikes! I recall that this was one of the "given" formulas that I was presented with in high-school physics (without proof at that time) to use when faced with these sorts of problems.

Can you list the equations related to this type of problem that you've been given?

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpeg
    IMG_0596.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 348
Yeah, that image just about impossible to read. But I don't see anything recognizable as being specifically related to harmonic motion. So that's going to pose a significant problem if you haven't done differential equations. Since the problem statement specifically points out the period of the harmonic motion, it seems strange that you haven't been introduced to the equation for the period of a spring-mass oscillator.

rugerts said:
What topics / equations are covered in this section of the book ?

SammyS said:
What topics / equations are covered in this section of the book ?
Literally just F=ma in various forms (normal tangential, polar) and a damping force was mentioned F = c * (dx/dt). also F = kx.

I find it hard to fathom that you've been exposed to the concept of damping yet haven't been taught the formula for the fundamental period of a spring-mass system. If I may ask, what course (in your school) does this question come from?

gneill said:
I find it hard to fathom that you've been exposed to the concept of damping yet haven't been taught the formula for the fundamental period of a spring-mass system. If I may ask, what course (in your school) does this question come from?
intro dynamics

rugerts said:
intro dynamics
This is a college course? If so, I presume that you'd be able to "access" any methods or formulas that you might have covered in your high-school physics.

I suggest you save yourself a lot of time and fire up Google with "mass spring period".

gneill said:
This is a college course? If so, I presume that you'd be able to "access" any methods or formulas that you might have covered in your high-school physics.

I suggest you save yourself a lot of time and fire up Google with "mass spring period".
We're going to cover those things you mentioned, but later in the course. For now, we're supposed to be using just force methods. The book is known to have a lot of mistakes; it's possible that it could be impossible with just force methods. Do you think that's the case here?

rugerts said:
We're going to cover those things you mentioned, but later in the course. For now, we're supposed to be using just force methods. The book is known to have a lot of mistakes; it's possible that it could be impossible with just force methods. Do you think that's the case here?
Then you'll need to write and solve the differential equation.

gneill said:
Then you'll need to write and solve the differential equation.
Can you elaborate a little more? I'm not familiar with differential equations

rugerts said:
Can you elaborate a little more? I'm not familiar with differential equations
A differential equation is one that uses differential calculus to relate rates of change of variables with respect to each other. Typically, for example, one might write Newton's second law for a given system using the differential form. Then that equation would be solved using various methods depending upon the specific nature of the equation.

Google "differential equation" to see more/better descriptions and examples.

gneill said:
A differential equation is one that uses differential calculus to relate rates of change of variables with respect to each other. Typically, for example, one might write Newton's second law for a given system using the differential form. Then that equation would be solved using various methods depending upon the specific nature of the equation.

Google "differential equation" to see more/better descriptions and examples.
Ok thanks for the help. I'll use F=ma then and see where I can go from there

rugerts said:
Ok thanks for the help. I'll use F=ma then and see where I can go from there
You won't get far without casting it as a differential equation.

(Your image in the attached file:
img_0596-jpeg.jpg

rugerts said:
Literally just F=ma in various forms (normal tangential, polar) and a damping force was mentioned F = c * (dx/dt). also F = kx.
Here's an idea:

See if you can relate the motion of the mass attached to the spring, to the x or y component of the motion of a mass undergoing uniform circular motion where the centripetal force is ##\ k\cdot x_\text{max}\,,\ ## the radius of the circle is ##\ x_\text{max}\,,\ ## and the mass travels the complete circle every 3 seconds.

In order for this to be reasonable, the x or y, component (whichever you use) of the centripetal force should match the spring force at corresponding positions.

Attachments

• img_0596-jpeg.jpg
    img_0596-jpeg.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 325

1. How do you find the mass of a block attached to a spring?

To find the mass of a block attached to a spring, you will need to use the equation F = kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. By measuring the force and displacement, you can solve for the mass using the equation m = F/k.

2. What equipment do I need to find the mass of a block attached to a spring?

To find the mass of a block attached to a spring, you will need a spring, a block, a ruler or measuring tape, and a device to measure the force exerted by the spring (such as a spring scale or force sensor).

3. Can I use any type of spring to find the mass of a block attached to a spring?

Yes, you can use any type of spring as long as you know its spring constant. The spring constant can be found by dividing the force exerted by the spring by the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

4. What is the significance of finding the mass of a block attached to a spring?

Finding the mass of a block attached to a spring can be useful in various scientific experiments and applications. It can help determine the spring constant of the spring, which is an important factor in understanding the behavior of springs. It can also be used to measure the weight or mass of an object indirectly, as well as in studies of simple harmonic motion.

5. Can the mass of a block attached to a spring change over time?

The mass of a block attached to a spring will not change over time unless there is a change in the mass of the block itself. However, the displacement of the spring may change over time due to factors such as temperature or external forces, which can affect the measurement of the spring constant and therefore the calculated mass. It is important to take these factors into consideration when conducting experiments involving springs.