Finding the mass of a particle, when its charge is known

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
bobsmith76
Messages
336
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A small latex sphere experiences an electric force of 3.6 × 10^−14 N when suspended halfway between a pair of large metal plates, which are separated by 48.0 mm. There is just enough electric force to balance the force of gravity on the sphere.
(a) What is the mass of the sphere?

Homework Equations



q = (mgΔd)/V

F (electrostatic force) = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I have two unknowns in my first equation, q and V. My attempt to find q fails because I get a number that is around 10^-27. So if my number for q is wrong, then my number for V will also be wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:

Homework Statement



A small latex sphere experiences an electric force of 3.6 × 10^−14 N when suspended halfway between a pair of large metal plates, which are separated by 48.0 mm. There is just enough electric force to balance the force of gravity on the sphere.
(a) What is the mass of the sphere?

Homework Equations



q = (mgΔd)/V

F (electrostatic force) = kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I have two unknowns in my first equation, q and V. My attempt to find q fails because I get a number that is around 10^-27. So if my number for q is wrong, then my number for V will also be wrong.

I assume that's just the first part of the question, because it's actually very simple. You're given the electric force and told that it exactly balances the gravitational force (which is the weight). So in essence, you're told the weight of the sphere. How do you relate weight to the mass?
 
Ok, I multiplied 3.7 * 10^-15 by 9.8 and got the correct answer. Thanks.
 
bobsmith76 said:
My book says the answer is 3.7 * 10^-15. I don't see how they get that.

I repeat (from my earlier post):

So in essence, you're told the weight of the sphere. How do you relate weight to the mass?
 
bobsmith76 said:
Ok, I multiplied 3.7 * 10^-15 by 9.8 and got the correct answer. Thanks.

Sure, but to go the "right way" (to get the mass given the weight), you must divide by [itex]g[/itex] (which is close to 9.8[itex]ms^{-2}[/itex].