Finding the mass of stars that evolved away.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Toad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Toad
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
If the stars in the Pleiades open cluster are about 100*10^6 years old, how do I find the mass of the stars that evolved away from the main sequence to form red giants? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
If the stars in the Pleiades open cluster are about 100*10^6 years old, how do I find the mass of the stars that evolved away from the main sequence to form red giants? Any suggestions or comments are welcome!

What are you working from? Do they expect you to derive a relationship between mass and lifetime or just to know it?
 
SpaceTiger said:
What are you working from? Do they expect you to derive a relationship between mass and lifetime or just to know it?
The information I posted above is all I've been given. If there are common formulas for this available, I suppose I don't need to derive them.

Thanks!
 
Toad said:
The information I posted above is all I've been given. If there are common formulas for this available, I suppose I don't need to derive them.

See if this page helps:

http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/astronomy/MainSequence.html"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that page. Is there some way to relate the age of the star to its luminosity? Do I need to do that?

Thanks!
 
Toad said:
Thanks for that page. Is there some way to relate the age of the star to its luminosity? Do I need to do that?

Does the problem ask for a luminosity?

Do yiou know how to normalize the relation I gave -- that is, do you know the temperature and mass of the sun?