Finding the Masses of a binary star using the distance, angle and orbital period

PaulIn summary, by using the small angle approximation, the distance between the two stars in a circular visual binary system with an orbital period of 30 years and a distance of 20 parsecs is calculated to be 1200AU. This leads to a total mass of 1920000 Solar masses, with each star having a mass of 960000 Solar masses. However, this calculation is based on the incorrect assumption that 1'' is equal to 1'.
PaulWright

Homework Statement

Two stars are in a circular visual binary system. The orbital
period of the binary is 30 years. The distance to the binary is 20
parsecs. The angular radius of the orbit of each star is 1". What
are the masses of the two stars?

Homework Equations

I am assuming that the two stars are of the same mass.
[tex]\frac{a^3}{p^2}=2M[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

as the angle is 1" this is 0.000290888209 radians

using the small angle approx opp/adj should = 0.000290888209 radians
we have adj, which is 20pc, therefore the opp (the radius of the orbit) should be 5.81776418*10^-3pc, which is 1200AU, which is therefore the distance between the two stars in AU, which is required for the equation.

therefore we get [tex]\frac{1200^3}{30^2}=M_1+M_2[/tex] which is 1920000 Solar masses, therefore each mass is 960000 Solar mass.

This seems way too big, and I would like someone to show me where I have gone wrong.

Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1'' = 1/3600 degrees = 4.848 * 10^(-6) radians.

willem2 said:
1'' = 1/3600 degrees = 4.848 * 10^(-6) radians.

Jees, I never saw that I assumed 1"=1'

Cheers

1. How do you calculate the masses of a binary star using the distance, angle and orbital period?

To calculate the masses of a binary star, you can use the formula M = [(4π²r³)/(GT²)] where M represents the total mass of the system, r is the distance between the two stars, G is the gravitational constant, and T is the orbital period. You will need to know the distance between the two stars in astronomical units (AU) and the orbital period in years.

2. What is the importance of finding the masses of a binary star?

Finding the masses of a binary star is important because it allows us to determine the total mass of the system, which can provide insights into the formation and evolution of the stars. It also helps us understand the dynamics of the system and its future evolution.

3. Is it possible to find the masses of a binary star using only the distance and angle?

No, it is not possible to find the masses of a binary star using only the distance and angle. The orbital period is also needed in the calculation, as it is a crucial factor in determining the masses of the stars.

4. Can the masses of a binary star change over time?

Yes, the masses of a binary star can change over time due to various factors such as mass transfer between the stars, tidal interactions, and fusion processes. These changes can be observed over long periods of time, but in most cases, the masses remain relatively constant.

5. Are there any limitations to using the distance, angle, and orbital period method for finding the masses of a binary star?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It assumes that the two stars have circular orbits and that the system is viewed edge-on, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any other objects or external factors that may influence the motion of the stars. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated masses can be affected by measurement errors in the distance and orbital period.