Finding the momentum of the each balls

In summary, the baseball and tennisball have different total momentum, but the baseball has more of it in the x-direction. The bullet has more mechanical energy in the y-direction once it hits the block.
Niles

Homework Statement

There are two questions.

1) A baseball, m=0.045 kg, moves in +y-direction with v = 5 m/s. a tennisball is moving in the -x direction with speed of 2m/s. Wat is the magnitude and direction of total momentum in the system?

2) A 0.01 kg rifle bullet is fired with v = 500 m/s into a ballistic pendulum of mass 5 kg suspended from a cord 0.6 m long. Find the height of the pendulum, the initial kinetic energy of the bullet and the kinetic energy of the bullet and pendulum.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I have no idea, beside finding the momentum of the each balls.

2) I tried using p_bullet + p_pendulum = (m_bullet + m_pendulum)u, but I get u = 0,998 m/s, which i believe is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Look up the definition of the total momentum of a system (of particles).

2. Why do you believe it is incorrect?

1) great, will do!

2) It seems very small. Must I use that KE_bullet = KE_bullet_and_pendulum?

Niles said:
1) great, will do!

If I do what I wrote in about KE, I get that v_(pendulum and bullet) = 22,34 m/s. But when using p_1 = p_2, I get v = 0,9980 m/s. How is this?

Last edited:
Niles said:

Think potential energy. EDIT: For the KE of bullet+pendulum: You have figured out the velocity of the two together. Now given the velocity and mass, find KE.

Last edited:
neutrino said:
Think potential energy.

EDIT: For the KE of bullet+pendulum: You have figured out the velocity of the two together. Now given the velocity and mass, find KE.

So KE_bullet = PE_(bullet and pendulum), and from there i find the height.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the last thing you wrote.

Niles said:
So KE_bullet = PE_(bullet and pendulum), and from there i find the height.

Forget about the KE of the bullet...some of it is lost when it hits the block. But mechanical energy is conserved after the bullet embeds itself in the block.

I'm sorry, but I don't get the last thing you wrote.

Just said in a round-about way that KE = 0.5mv2 :wink: You know the mass of the bullet+pendulum, and you have figured out its (initial) velocity. (Although, the question doesn't mention it, I'm assuming that it is initial KE that is to be found)

Great, thanks!

1. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a measure of an object's motion and is represented by the symbol p.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of a ball?

The momentum of a ball can be calculated by multiplying its mass (in kilograms) by its velocity (in meters per second). The formula for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the unit of momentum?

The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s). This is derived from the units of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).

4. How does the momentum of a ball change?

The momentum of a ball can change if its mass or velocity changes. If the mass increases, the momentum will also increase. Similarly, if the velocity increases, the momentum will increase as well.

5. Why is momentum important?

Momentum is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects and how they interact with each other. It is a conserved quantity, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This concept is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and sports.