1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the particular solution to the differential equation

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Please see attachment

2. Relevant equations

Please see attachment

3. The attempt at a solution

Please see attachment. im supposed to compare coefficients but it doesn't seem possible. what do I do next? (also, if i have posted this in the wrong forum...I apologize. please mention the right forum) Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your particular solution is too complicated. Try yp = A cos5x + B sin5x.

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3
    is my answer correct?

is my answer correct...?

Please see attachment

Attached Files:

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you check it for yourself? Just substitute your particular solution into the differential equation.

Also, the pictures you took are difficult to read. The lighting is poor and taking the picture at an angle to the paper makes the upper part of the paper difficult to read.

6. Mar 7, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It seems to me we are seeing more and more of this. Pictures, sometimes one for the problem and one for the solution effort, links to pdf's etc. Anything but typing in the problem so we have an editable posting to work with. I wish PF would make a stronger effort to discourage that. Often I just skip over such posts.

7. Mar 7, 2013 #6
    I apologize

I cant seem to work with the editor so taking pictures seemed like a better option. Anyways, thanks for your help. I still don't know whether my A and B are right.

8. Mar 7, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem mokee; my comments were directed to Mark44 who is a moderator. You didn't violate any rules. To check whether your A and B are right, plug your answers in to the original equation and see if they work, as Mark suggested.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted